Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook 455 G6
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been trying to get Zoom to work on this laptop, for the same reason everyone else is using Zoom right now.

Have run into a significant problem, the laptop's speaker and microphone both disable on there own, without direct input from user.  The F5 and F8 buttons light up, there is no question what is happening.  All sound, incoming and outgoing, ceases to work until the two buttons are pressed to re-enable sound and microphone.

Windows is fully updated, HP Support updates are current, HP Audio assistant has been run and has found no problems.  The problem has occurred at least once that we know of while Zoom was not in operation.

I have an additional problem today, headset is not working, the laptop is responding to the jack by switching from "Speakers Realtek(R) Audio" to "Headphone Realtek(R) Audio", however the sound continues to come through the laptop speakers.  I have tested this with two different headsets.  Last week I had tested with a headset in and had gone 15 minutes without experiencing any issues.  Wanted to try and replicate that result for longer.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

I had the same problem with the microphone and speakers in Zoom. I might have found a solution. It seems to be working okay now (based on one meeting). Here's what I did.

Update 5/2/20: This has been working for a month now, through many Zoom meetings, and other people have said that it worked for them. However, this solution might be specific to the ProBook 450 G6. It apparently does not work for a similar problem on a ZBook, or on other ProBook models.

Go to Settings > System > Sound.
Under Output click Device Properties.
In Device properties click Additional device properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
Uncheck "Allow hardware acceleration of audio with this device" and "Enable audio enhancements."
Click OK.
Go back to Sound.
Under Input click Device Properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
Uncheck "Enable audio enhancements."
Click OK.

It's possible that only one of these settings needs to be unchecked, but I can't take the time to test one at a time.

My computer is an HP ProBook 450 G6 with Windows 10 Pro Version 1903. In the update history I see that there was a Realtek update on March 24. I am suspicious that that update is what caused the problem. I think it was working okay before then.

Please post back to let me and others know whether this works for you.

HP Recommended

We have a number of Probooks and they are all doing it - and most annoyingly at random

I put a support ticket into Zoom 20 days ago - no response yet - but imagine they are overwhelmed

with other issues

We also have other laptop brands, Dell  etc and they don't have the issue, so I should ask HP 

I find the F5/F8 keys are lit when it happens 

HP Recommended

I'm troubleshooting this issue with a new client. She has an HP ProBook 450 G6 Win10 Pro 1909. Seems to only happen in Zoom Meetings. Randomly mic and speakers stop then F5/F8 turn on. Turn them off and everything is fine again. She setup the laptop 12/30/19 and has been trying to troubleshoot it for a couple of months. I saw a thread on Reddit about this also, but the original poster ended up circumventing the issue by having affected people use USB headsets. 

I started looking into the issue last night. HP Support site shows an updated Realtek driver on 2/14/20 but when I ran the HP Support Assistant, it didn't pull it. Device Manager shows a December date for the Realtek driver. I downloaded sp101179.exe and tried to manually run it, but it won't run. It unzips, loads the first part of installer but disappears after clicking next. No errors display, it just appears to die. 

I'll try the suggestions of other posters, but wanted to toss my experience out here also.  

HP Recommended

I followed Bob-99s steps and in 1hr 20mins between two Zoom meetings, NO RANDOM MUTES!! 😁😊

Thanks!!

@Bob-99 wrote:

I had the same problem with the microphone and speakers in Zoom. I might have found a solution. It seems to be working okay now (based on one meeting). Here's what I did.

Go to Settings > System > Sound.
Under Output click Device Properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
Uncheck "Allow hardware acceleration of audio with this device" and "Enable audio enhancements."
Click OK.
Go back to Sound.
Under Input click Device Properties.
Click the Advanced tab.
Uncheck "Enable audio enhancements."
Click OK.

It's possible that only one of these settings needs to be unchecked, but I can't take the time to test one at a time.

My computer is an HP ProBook 450 G6 with Windows 10 Pro Version 1903. In the update history I see that there was a Realtek update on March 24. I am suspicious that that update is what caused the problem. I think it was working okay before then.

Please post back to let me and others know whether this works for you.

HP Recommended

Bob-99 -- your guidance seems to be working for me.  Thank you so much!  I will try to back off on one or more of the features that you suggested, to fine-tune which of the steps are instrumental.  But that's for another time, another day.  It was getting ridiculous on my laptop, randomly switching off speakers and microphone while on Zoom, about every 30 to 60 seconds, repeatedly.  I was "solving" the problem by manually toggling the Volume Up (F7) and the Volume Down (F6) buttons every few seconds, to try to suppress the laptop's "willful urge" to mute me.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately, Bob-99's fix did not work for me like it did for others. 

HP Recommended

Hello- I have the same problem with my HP ProBook 450 G6. It started yesterday. I had been using Zoom every day until yesterday with no problems but now, like others above, as soon as someone else talks in Zoom my computer automatically mutes the speakers and microphone. I can listen to other sound on my computer without this happening. I haven't had any luck stopping it through the suggestions above or the suggestions at https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/microphone-keeps-shutting-off/td-p/5988836. 

The only thing that I can think of that had an impact is the day before this problem started occurring I updated my BIOS because I had a second monitor that wasn't being recognized.

Any help would be appreciated, I have to use my phone for the audio on Zoom.

HP Recommended

Have a ProBook 450 G6 with Winodws Pro 10 and had the same problem.  Fix from Bob-99 works perfectly so far.  Thank you.  Is this just a glitch peculiar to this particular model?

HP Recommended

I am using an HP ZBook and have essentially the same issue when using Zoom and Windows 10.  The solutions outlined by others using different HP laptops haven't seemed to work for me, so it appears that this issue may be ZBook-specific or ZBook-enhanced.  Looking for any solutions and are not nearly as IT-facile as others on this thread.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.