Top Student
8 6 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Speakers not working but headphones do.

Pavilion g6 1235 so
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After upgrading from Win 7 to Win 10 speakers have stopped working although the headphones work fine.

In addition the volume slider control is no longer functioning.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the IDT HD audio  driver CODEC - did not resolve the speaker problem.

Read somewhere that volume control slider might be "stuck" and this is related to the BIOS.

Can someone out there help please.

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Retired
Retired
2,405 2,120 146 291
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hey @sheba005

Thanks for posting in the HP Support Forum. 

I see that your HP Pavilion g6-1235so Notebook PC's speakers are no longer working since upgrading to Windows 10. I would like to assist. I have some suggestions that might help. 

What's most likely causing the issue is the fact that there are no HP-tested Windows 10 drivers for your PC. Having said that, it's worth running through the recommended steps in the following troubleshooting guide: 

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05207095

Let me know if this restores sound to your speakers. If I have helped you resolve the issue and you liked this post, feel free to give me virtual props by clicking on the 'Thumbs Up' icon below and clicking 'Solved' (this will help others find the solution).

Thanks for reaching out. 

Have a great day!

E-roq
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
sheba005 Top Student
Top Student
8 6 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Many thanks for the response.

I tried all the suggestions but it turns out that HP Recovery Manager was deleted during down loading of Win10.

I have back up discs for Win7 but 1 is corrupted.

I need Recovery Manager to try and get the sound back so I guess I will have to contact HP and get the relevant discs or download if one is available. 

0 Kudos
sheba005 Top Student
Top Student
8 6 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the response but none of your suggestions worked.

0 Kudos
VignesWaran Honor Student
Honor Student
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

When you can get audio through the headphone jack but none through the speakers, that is almost always due to one of two causes, neither of which would be fixed by replacing your motherboard on the XPS L701x.

> If you perform the PSA or the ePSA tests exactly as per the instructions and do not hear the tones or beeps through the speakers during the tests, but you do hear audio through the headphones when you are back in Windows (the PSA tests run outside of Windows), then the problem is with the speakers. Either they have failed, in which case they need to be replaced, or the connection to the speakers has become loose and needs to be re-seated.

> If you perform the PSA or the ePSA tests and do hear the tones or beeps through the speakers during the tests, but you do not hear audio through the speakers when you are back in Windows, then the problem is with the headphone jack. The XPS L701x model has a replaceable jack circuit board.

A workaround for your problem is to get an inexpensive set of usb speakers.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation