Level 1
9 4 0 2
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Spectre X360 15 (2017 Model) left speaker not working

Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bought this wonderfull laptop 3 monthes ago , every thing was going OK until yesterday when suddenly i started to hear a strange crackling sound from my Bang & Olufsen left speaker , tried everything .. replacing and updating drivers alos updating bios and even restoring and updating my laptop again , nothing worked .

today , that sound begun to increase gradually , now ... my left speaker stopped only the right channel working !

What is this ?

and what i shall do ?

Regards .

5 REPLIES 5
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 829 1,454
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@samykoka

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 series laptop and there is a crackling noise from the left speaker. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.Now the left speaker does not work. 

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

I suggest you to run a hardware test on the laptop's audio. The following steps will help:

• Shutdown the laptop. 

• Turn on the laptop and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

• On the main menu, click Component Tests.

Figure : Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

• The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Figure : Sample list of Component Tests

Sample List of the Component tests

• Audio Test - The Audio Playback Test checks your system to make sure the audio device is functioning properly. During the test, a few music notes are played in sequence and then repeated. This test takes 1 minute to complete.

To run the test, click Audio, and then click Run once. Choose either the speakers or the headphones. When asked, enter the number of notes you heard.

If the left speaker does not work and if the crackling noise appears then it confirms a hardware issue. In such a case please contact our HP phone support team to check the available service options for your laptop. 

any further questions. Cheers! :)posted forHope this information helps. Please feel free to keep me

0 Kudos
samykoka
Level 1
9 4 0 2
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mkazi

Thanks for your fast responce , but unfortunately , i did all the tests including the UEFI Hardware Diagnostic test you mentioned in your reply .

All my attempts was worthless .. nothing worked . already called the local HP maintenance agent - i live in Egypt - and they told me to send them my laptop for repaire 😞 

problem is - as they told me - i have to wait a long time to get my laptop back ..... 😞

thanks again .

Regards

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12,746 12,733 829 1,454
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@samykoka

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options, if any. You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region. Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

0 Kudos
samykoka
Level 1
9 4 0 2
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for your interest, the local HP maintenance service phoned me and told me that the left speaker needs to be replaced (!?) and that they had ordered it .

Now , I have to wait until it arrives ( overseas) and replaced - the strange thing here is : what caused this to happen ? I mean , I only used this top of the line laptop for only 2 months in which I used the speakers rarely! Is it normal?
0 Kudos
Thorgo
Level 2
7 6 0 6
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have had the same issue with my Spectre. On the second day I had it left speaker stopped working. I sent it in for repair as it was under warranty. This was a very long process. I got it back with everything working.  It has been about 4 days since I got it back, and what do you know... same problem. Left speaker is once again not working. Hp would not repllace the laptop itself but they said they replaced the speakers, which made the volume go down. I wonder is they used the same bang olufsen speakers that it origionaly had. Either way it stopped working today. I am wishing I bought a different laptop at this point. I hope you have more luck then I. 

As for what causes this. I am pretty sure it's not a hardware problem but a driver conflict, something I read in anothe forum post. I told them that, but I suppose they did not believe that since they replaced the speakers anyway. 

Best of luck.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation