Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Spectre x360 Windows sounds distorted

HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 13-ae013dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Brand new Spectre x360 13 inch laptop upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.  Whenever a Windows Sound plays, such as the startup sound or an alert message, the audio is distorted, like it's playing at a high volume, even though I've turned the volume down. All other audio is fine: Youtube, playing movies or musoc, it all sounds fine.  But Windows Sounds are distorted. 

3 REPLIES 3
MKazi
Retired
Retired
12,746 12,732 829 1,537
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@csewell

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums.

I understand that the Windows sounds are distorted on your laptop. However, other sounds from Youtube, playing movies or music is just fine. I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

Was the Window audio fine before you upgraded to Win10 Pro?

Meantime, let us uninstall and reinstall the audio drivers by following the below steps:

• Open the device manager.
  • Expand "Sound, video and game controllers". Right click on the audio drivers and select uninstall.
  • Close the device manager and restart the laptop.
  • After the laptop is restarted, you may download and install the audio drivers from this link.
  • Please restart the laptop after the audio drivers are installed.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know how it goes. All the best! 🙂

0 Kudos
csewell
Author
Level 1
7 5 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, not sure what's going on now. To start with there were two drivers under sound, video, and game controllers: intel hd audio and another one I can't recall the name of.  I uninstalled them both, including the drivers.  I restarted and installed the downloaded package, which gave me a Realtek HD (SST) driver before rebooting.  After rebooting from, I now see a single Intel HD Audio driver with a yellow exclamation point.  Audio still works the same as before despite the fact that device manager says the drivers are not installed, with tested Windows Sounds that sound like they are overdriven even though I have the volume turned down.

0 Kudos
Rainbow23
Retired
Retired
7,690 7,683 427 601
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @csewell,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue has not resolved after following the steps mentioned in the previous interaction.

This issue may require a one to one interaction over the phone.

Hence, you may contact HP Technical Phone Support at this link: http://hp.care/2r9wSvP

Select the country where you are located and type the product# or the serial number of the unit and then choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information. Click on 'Show Options' icon and then scroll down the page and select 'Get Phone Number' to get the phone number.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the Accept as Solution button, Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation