Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 convertible 13-ac0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop started recently making a constant static noise coming from my right speaker. This has been going on for almost a week now, It's driving me crazy! Most of the times its a constant static noise but sometimes the static will cut out then come back a second later. The static is not very loud but noticeable, It can be heard when playing videos using the laptop's speakers. Even when I plug in headphones the static can still be heard. The only way to "turn off" the static is to press the mute button (f6). But the static will come back a few minutes later. I tried updating my bios, Uninstalling/ reinstalling/ Updating audio drivers. (the latest driver I found was from mid 2017) (via https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/laptops)

This is the driver I updated it to.

sfjfioejwjigjiojrwiojgwiwrorjgii.PNG

I tried the HP Support Assitant "Audio Check", It didn't detect an issue.

Description of static

Not very loud but loud enough to be annoying

Not crackling sound, just constant static

"Volume" of static noise is constant 

Static seems to be coming out of the right speaker only 

Never had this issue before

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@airplanedog

Greetings!

Welcome to the HP Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand, there's an issue with the static sound from the computer.

Appreciate you trying the troubleshooting the steps. Don't worry, I'm here to help! 

Let's try these steps -

Step 1 Run Audio troubleshooter -

1) In Windows, type "Find and fix audio" into Search, or right-click the speaker icon on the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.
2) Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.

Step 2 Re-install the Audio drivers -

1) In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
2) Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.
3) Right click on the Audio drivers and click on uninstall.
4) Restart the computer. 

Also, try updating the computer -

Step 3 Run Windows Updates troubleshooter -

Click on this link to run the troubleshooter.

Step 4 Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Step 5 HP Support Assistant Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

If the issue still persists, try creating a new user account - 

1) Tap the Windows icon.

2) Select Settings.

3) Tap Accounts.

4) Select Family & other users.

5) Tap "Add someone else to this PC."

6) Select "I don't have this person's sign-in information."

7) Select "Add a user without a Microsoft account."

😎 Enter a username, type the account's password twice, enter a clue and select Next.

9) Tap the Windows icon.

10) Select the User icon at the upper left corner of the Start menu.

11) Select the new user. You'll then sign into your account with your password from step 8.

Let me know how that goes.

To thank us for our efforts to help you, click here to access your public post and Select - "Accept as solution" and click on the purple "Thumbs up". 

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, Thanks for your response. I tried all that you recommended I do with no luck. However, I did receive this when I did "step 1" I did receive this.

aosfjijwefi.PNG

HP Recommended

@airplanedog

Thanks for replying. 

Please try turning off the sound effects and enhancements. 

Let me know how that goes. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The error is actually with DPC latancy and faulty drivers apparantly. You can check yours by running latancynmon and have it run in the background for 10 minutes while you use the computer to play audio, and watch videos to check for Latancy issues (http://www.resplendence.com/downloads)

This issue does not appear when ubuntu os is runninng on the computer instead of windows.

The same issue is also affecting Dell XPS laptops as well. It has been going on for several months now.

Will have to wait and see it new drivers are able to solve the issue when they come out.

HP Recommended

This is what I got after Doing the Latency test. Is there any way to fix the drivers? lfjiwefjifwi.PNG

HP Recommended

@Asmita6658

I've tried that with no luck. 

HP Recommended

@airplanedog

Thanks for replying. Happy to hear back from you. I'd suggest you try running the audio test -

1) Shutdown the computer.

2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.

3) Press F2 once.

4) Go to Component test.

5) From the list, run the Audio test.

Let me know the outcome.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was able to resolve a similar problem by shutting down the laptop, removing the A/C adapter and Thunderbold cables, then holding down the power button for 30 seconds.  On reboot, the loud, static noise from the front speaker was gone.

Hope this helps someone!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.