Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP H1W67EA#ABU
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I keep getting a low static noise in my new hp laptop, also one of the lights on the side of the laptop (looks to be the hard drive light) keeps flashing on and off.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Laura1989 

Thank you, that one works much better. 😄 This is the support page for that model.

HP Notebook - 15-r101na (ENERGY STAR) - Software & Drivers

Also here is the Maintenance guide for that notebook series. Within you will find other information, such as the the locations of the LEDs, to better identify which ones may be flashing irregularly.

HP 15 Notebook PC HP 15 TouchSmart Notebook PC Compaq 15 Notebook PC Compaq 15 TouchSmart Notebook P...

Is the static sound noticeable always, or is it more when the volume is up?

Does the static noise seem to vary depending on what you are doing? (moving the mouse cursor, for example)

Was the static noise present immediately when you first powered the notebook on, or was it after using it a bit, or going online?

There is only the one driver on the site for Windows 8.1, but it may be worth reinstalling it.

Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver

Also, you should look through the following. I realize that you have sound, but many of the steps are still useful for sound quality issues.

No Sound from Speakers (Windows 😎

Let me know if any of this helps, and if not, then please post the answers to me questions, and hopefully it will point to a solution.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi there @Laura1989 

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, both from other users, HP experts and other support personnel.

Please verify and post the full product number for your notebook. See the following, if you need help with that information. How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?
The product number you previously posted does not seem to come up for me.

The flashing LED, depending on which one it is, is most likely just indicating activity, whether it is for the hard drive, or network, would depend on which LED it is.

For now you can take a look at these pages from Microsoft's support website:
Poor sound quality after upgrading to windows 8.1
Automatically diagnose and fix Windows audio playback problems

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

to verify, the Product number: K1W67EA#ABU.  Product name: HP 15 Notebook PC

HP Recommended

@Laura1989 

Thank you, that one works much better. 😄 This is the support page for that model.

HP Notebook - 15-r101na (ENERGY STAR) - Software & Drivers

Also here is the Maintenance guide for that notebook series. Within you will find other information, such as the the locations of the LEDs, to better identify which ones may be flashing irregularly.

HP 15 Notebook PC HP 15 TouchSmart Notebook PC Compaq 15 Notebook PC Compaq 15 TouchSmart Notebook P...

Is the static sound noticeable always, or is it more when the volume is up?

Does the static noise seem to vary depending on what you are doing? (moving the mouse cursor, for example)

Was the static noise present immediately when you first powered the notebook on, or was it after using it a bit, or going online?

There is only the one driver on the site for Windows 8.1, but it may be worth reinstalling it.

Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver

Also, you should look through the following. I realize that you have sound, but many of the steps are still useful for sound quality issues.

No Sound from Speakers (Windows 😎

Let me know if any of this helps, and if not, then please post the answers to me questions, and hopefully it will point to a solution.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

static noise is always there but its hard to hear it.  

yes it was there when i first got it.

i re-installed the Realtek driver and it seems the static noise is gone.

Thank you for the help.

HP Recommended
Hey I realized I have the same problem as you, I was wondering which one of the rrealtek drives you reinstalled?
HP Recommended
I have exactly the same problem. I re installed the audio driver too but the static noise is still there... Please help 😫
HP Recommended

@TNats

As I understand there is a static noise from the laptop though you reinstalled the Audio drivers,

I need a few details to provide an accurate solution:

Have you attempted the steps mentioned in the same forum post: Click here (if you haven't)

When was the last time it worked (date)?

what steps have you attempted so far, before posting on HP forums?

What is the product number of your laptop? (please don't share any personal information, such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.)

Eager to help,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Product number is: N7J44EA#ABU

Ive reinstalled the audio drivers only. Its a new laptop and as soon as i switched it on the noise was there. Its mostly to the right side of the laptop

HP Recommended

@TNats

Thank you for replying,

I'm glad to know that you've reinstalled the audio drivers and I suggest you follow all the steps mentioned on the post to resolve it,

If the sound/noise is too loud or excessive,
I recommend following the steps mentioned here

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.
If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.