Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stereo Mix Missing

HP Envy x360 m6 convertible pc
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I can't find a stereo mix option anywhere. I have the settings set to show disabled and disconnected devices  but nothing is there besides the microphone array. I've tried updating the  HD audio driver. I've tried downloading a Realtek HD audio codec. But still nothing new shows up. I've tried searching on the forums and googling solutions, but I haven't gotten anything to work.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
5,278 5,204 268 361
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stereo Mix Missing

@mkayj

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service.

As I understand, the stereo mix option is missing, 

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

What is the product number of your device? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824 

(Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

When was the last time it worked fine?

Were there any hardware/software changes? 

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps?

Are you facing an audio issue? 

Could you elaborate the issue?

Let's try these steps: 

Enable Stereo Mix

1.  Go down to the audio icon in your system tray, right-click it, and go to “Recording Devices” to open up the proper settings pane.
  2. In the pane, right-click on a blank area, and make sure both “View Disabled Devices” and “View Disconnected Devices” options are checked.  You should see a “Stereo Mix” option appear.
  3. Right-click on “Stereo Mix” and click “Enable” to be able to use it.

If the issue, try performing BIOS update following steps from the link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

If the issue persists, you could create a new user account following these steps: Click here

Let me know how this goes,

Cheers!

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below,

Followed by clicking on "Accept as Solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum. 

Have a great day!

Regards,

0 Kudos
Associate Professor
Associate Professor
953 915 87 250
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stereo Mix Missing

What are you trying to do? The only audio inputs on most modern laptops are the built in microphone (or microphone array on better units) and the microphone input on the TRRS combo audio jack (which might only show up when a cable is plugged in).

If you want a stereo line in, you will need external audio hardware. If you want to loop back the stereo audio out and use it as an audio input for recording or webcasting purposes, this is usually easiest to achieve with external audio hardware that has an internal mixer, though you can sometimes use 'virtual audio cable' software depending on the scenario.

0 Kudos
mwolfthal Student
Student
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Stereo Mix Missing

In the Spectre 360x the Stereo Mix capability has been removed from the Realtek hardware.

You can work around it with the drivers at https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/. Install them and set the the input/output as the defaults. Then in the Recording tab configure listening with the built in hardware. This way you can capture audio and hear it as well.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation