Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15s-eq1351ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

As many others have recently posted, I have experienced a sudden loss of onboard audio devices - the speakers and the headphone jack no longer work.  I can still connect to audio via Bluetooth and HDMI.  I have performed all of the diagnostics through HP and Windows but they do not detect a problem.

As far as I can tell, this has happened since an automatic driver update from Windows.  I rolled back all possible audio drivers to no avail.  I performed a system restore which temporarily solved my problem, however I wasn´t quick enough to disable to automatic driver updates, and now I can now longer use an old enough restore point, one before these drivers where installed.  I prefer not to reinstall Windows, however this is looking like my only option until there is a new update rolled out.

Any advice would be appreciated,

Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok, I´ve finally found the problamatic driver.

Windows 10 automatically updated a driver called "Sound Research Corp. - SoftwareComponent - 2.0.9.18".
This version is the cause of my loss of audio.  I was unable to revert this driver to an older version, so I decided to delete the driver entirely. Upon restarting the computer, Windows shows in Device Manager, under SoftwareComponents - Sound Research Audio Effects Component - version 2.0.9.17.  I now have full audio capabilties. 

Hopefully this is helpful for anyone else having this problem!

Cheers

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Still looking for some assistance with this issue.. have not been able to find a solution yet..

HP Recommended

Ok, I´ve finally found the problamatic driver.

Windows 10 automatically updated a driver called "Sound Research Corp. - SoftwareComponent - 2.0.9.18".
This version is the cause of my loss of audio.  I was unable to revert this driver to an older version, so I decided to delete the driver entirely. Upon restarting the computer, Windows shows in Device Manager, under SoftwareComponents - Sound Research Audio Effects Component - version 2.0.9.17.  I now have full audio capabilties. 

Hopefully this is helpful for anyone else having this problem!

Cheers

HP Recommended

Same problem encountered here. Complete loss of audio from laptop external speaker on 1/22. Headphone jack still works. I also had this driver installed as part of Windows update and sound stopped working.

Looking into how to get rid of this driver. 

nosound.png

HP Recommended

Rolling back the driver works as well. Here's how to do it ..

- Open Device Manager

- Expand 'Software components' - you will see 'Sound Research Audio Effects Component' 

- click on it and go to the Driver tab

- click on Roll Back Driver

No reboot needed.

Mine rolled back to 2.0.9.73 (dated 10/7/2020) and audio started working immediately after.

HP Recommended

I found success in rolling back all the drivers I could find relating to audio devices in the Device Manager. I'm unable to tell which one precisely fixed the sound problem, but after the roll backs and a restart the sound is back and working.

I just hope that Microsoft patch Windows properly with the next update so that I don't have to keep rolling back the drivers 

HP Recommended

Well this sorted it out. The roll back driver option was shaded out for me, so I tried the uninstall driver option and it has gone back to th 2.0.9.17 version

Thanks mate

HP Recommended

I only wish to contribute as I've had a similar issue with a colleagues machine. The steps I took (after researching) were:

Use AMD Driver Removal Tool

Download the AMD driver tool

Uninstall anything in the audio devices that didn't mention AMD

Uninstalled anything that related to audio and Realtek.

I also disabled hardware updates by:

Control Panel > System & Security > System > Advanced System Settings > Hardware > Device Installation Settings. Then choose "No (your device might not work as expected). This information was from Tom's hardware.

Use CAD and 3D modelling programmes as well as occasional video editing.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.