Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The issue is about my computer HP ENVY X360, it has too much noisy feedback when i try to talk with someone. it's no problem for me to listen to others, But the people in another end said that they can't listen to me, there is too much noisy feedback,  wonder it's a hardware issue or software issue?   any experience for it?

thanks!  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@tiger3216 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that internal microphones are too noisy.

Do not worry. I will try to fix the issue.

Please perform the below steps and check.

Step 1: Check the microphone hardware

Make sure the microphone has power, is turned up, and functioning.

1. If the microphone operates on battery power, make sure the batteries are correctly seated and are functional. If the microphone operates on external power, make sure that all the power connections are secure and the power cord is connected to a power source.

2. If the microphone has a volume control, make sure it is turned up half way.

3. Disconnect the microphone from the computer port, and then re-connect it. If the microphone uses a USB port, try connecting it to a different USB port on the computer.

4. Connect the microphone to another device, such as another computer, and then try to use it.

• If the microphone functions correctly when connected to the other device, a driver or computer recognition issue might be causing the problem. Continue to the next step to check for an update to the audio driver.

• If the microphone does not function correctly when connected to the alternative device, then the microphone might need to be replaced.

Step 2: Update the audio driver

An old audio driver can cause your microphone to function incorrectly. Make sure the audio driver is current.

1. Connect to the Internet.

2. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.

3. Double-click Sound, video and game controllers.

4. Right-click the name of the sound hardware, and then select Update Driver.

Update Driver option in Device Manager

5. Click Search automatically for updated driver software, and then wait for Windows to update the driver software.

Updated Driver Software: Search automatically for updated driver software

6. Windows checks to see if updated driver software is available.

If an update is available, let Windows install the update.

7. When the update is installed successfully, a Windows has finished installing the driver software for this device window displays.

Test the microphone.

If updating the driver did not resolve the issue, continue to the next step.

Step 3: Use the Troubleshooting tool

The Troubleshooting tool automatically finds and fixes many computer issues. Use it to troubleshoot microphone problems.

1. In Windows, search for and open Control Panel.

2. Click Troubleshooting.

3. Under Hardware and Sound, click Troubleshoot audio recording.

NOTE: 

Administrator permission is required to run this program. If prompted, type the administrator password or provide confirmation.

Troubleshoot audio recording

4. The Sound troubleshooter opens. Click Next. The troubleshooter begins checking the audio service status.

Select device to troubleshoot

5. Select the device you want to troubleshoot, and then click Next.

6. Follow the on-screen instructions and make any changes suggested by the troubleshooter. When done, close the troubleshooter.

7. If the problem persists, continue to the next step.

Step 4: Configure the sound settings in Windows

An incorrect setting in Windows could cause microphone issues. Use Windows Sound settings to configure the microphone.

1. Connect the microphone to the computer.

2. In Windows, search for and open Sound.

3. Click the Recording tab in the Sound window.

Recording tab in the Sound window

4. In the list of devices, find the microphone that you want to use.

If the microphone is not listed, use the following steps to show disabled and disconnected devices:

1. Right-click an empty area of the Sound window.

2. Click Show Disabled Devices and Show Disconnected Devices.

Disabled and disconnected devices shown in the Sound window

3. If the microphone is listed as Currently unavailable or Not plugged in, disconnect it, and then reconnect it to the port.

If the device you want to use contains a small circle with an arrow pointing down, the device is disabled. To enable the device, right-click the device name, and then select Enable.

5. Select the microphone you want to use, and then click Set Default to make this device the default audio input device.

Set Default option in the Sound window

6. With the device still selected, click Properties.

7. In the Properties window, click the Levels tab.

Levels tab

8. If the Mute button  is on, click it to unmute. The volume button should display as a blue speaker icon  .

9. Use the slider bar to raise the volume level to at least 75.

10. If Microphone Boost is available, adjust it to +20.0 dB.

11. Click OK to save changes.

let me know how that pans out,
And the answer to the above question will help me, help you!
Keep me posted, and if any of the above questionnaires helped resolve the issue, 
Mark this post as an "Accepted Solution".
Good luck.

HP Recommended

praveen196:

thanks for the reply. follow your instruction, the microphone issue is much better than before, but the only problem is it will come back each time, and I have to do this setting one more time then it can be good for a while, I tried several times, it seems some software bug which will recall the issue back.   I saw someone said similar things happened to him, it's finally fixed? 

thanks! 

HP Recommended

@tiger3216

I understand your concerns.

Try updating the computer, this will install the latest updates -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

The problem is still there,  too much noise when I speak to someone!  

I had followed the process for each step, sometimes it can be good just for a while when I adjust the level to maximize( 100 to array, 20 to boost). but when I come back to test, the noise will come back again. 

it's really frustrated, I wasted my too much time to struggle with it, what else action I can take? 

thanks! 

HP Recommended

@tiger3216 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand your concerns.

Please try creating a new user account and check for the result.

Is the issue still persists, I would suggest you perform the system reset and check for the issue.

Have a nice day!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.