Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I have a HP Envy 13 laptop with a genuine (supplied) USB-c to HDMI adaptor. While watching live stream web content on a connected TV via USB, the audio and video keep cutting out on the TV. the Audio and Video will cut out separately (usually the audio goes first) and at the same time. the only way to fix this is to disconnect the USB-C, the HDMI cable at the adaptor or the HDMI cable at the TV.... as long as one is cut, the feed normally picks up again once reconnected. But it is very frustrating when watching live sport. I have tried reinstalling drivers, the laptop power supply is 65W, the adaptor is genuine HP, and I have changed USB cables and TV's (4-5 of them all have the same issue). I am loosing patience with the live game cutting out, and the worst part is that the longer the stream goes, the more frequent the cut out i.e. towards the end of a game, the feed will cut every 5 minutes as opposed to every 30 mins at the start. At this stage it appears to be web-based video/audio streams whereas movies played via the same cables appear ok....any help is appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@HeathDS There are a few things you need to ensure are supported on the device,

before you proceed with USB Type-C to HDMI connection to a TV, and here's what you need to know:

For specific details about USB Type-C capabilities, see the QuickSpecs for your business PC, workstation, detachable, convertible, phone, or tablet at QuickSpecs web-page.

For Pavilion x2, x360, Spectre, ENVY, and OMEN series computers, see the product specifications for your model: click here for details

If you've ensured the connection is supported, I suggest you update the BIOS, Chipset and graphics card drivers using the HP website: Click here to find and install the same.

Once done, restart the device, create a new user account if the above didn't help and check if that works.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Riddle_decipher,

I have followed your instructions and used the HP assistance to find like-for-like drivers, but the menu's were a little overwhelming with multiple options under some headings. So I copied this from the download list;

Download list
HP ENVY - 13-ad027tx
Download more drivers
File File size File Name
HP Firmware Pack (Intel Processors) 9.8 MB sp96170.exe
Intel Chipset Installation Utility and Driver (Windows 10 v1803) 4.0 MB sp88132.exe
NVIDIA Graphics Driver (Windows 10 v1709) 544.0 MB sp85045.exe

I have installed all 3 but any idea if they were correct or if there are more that I should download? the issue normally arises after 30 mins of watching the live stream and there is a game coming up tomorrow that I can test on. I will update after that time if I don't hear any other suggestions/recommendations.

regards;

Heath

HP Recommended

@HeathDS Alright, that's good, please take your time and keep us posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Riddle_Decipher,

I finally got to test the solution yesterday and I am sorry to say but it made no difference. It may be imagining, but I could even say it was worse (or I was just more observant).

After 10 mins of watching the live stream web video, the video feed started cutting out (TV loosing signal) and this would phase in an out every 3-5 minutes and between this the audio would cut out while the image remained. After 10 mins I disconnected the USB-C cable, waited for the laptop to revert to it's screen and sound and then reconnected. The image and sound would return to the TV. I ended up doing this 3-4 times over 40 mins. by this stage I was missing the sport I was watching, so I tested a few other items. I changed TV's. Still occurred. I changed HDMI ports on (both) TV's, still occurred. I changed HDMI cables.... Still occurred. I changed the sound (while connected to the TV) back to default on the laptop. The sound returned on the laptop, but when I defaulted back to the TV, I can't recall if it returned immediately, but the issue still occurred.

I am using a genuine HP USB-C to HDMI adaptor that was supplied with the laptop so I don't have another of those to test but I feel I have isolated the issue to the laptop. In the end I became so frustrated that I disconnected the TV and watching the game on the laptop.....a little difficult for those individuals huddled around my shoulder to see the screen.

Your advise on the next steps of diagnosis is most welcome.

HP Recommended

@HeathDS
Thank you fo posting back, 

USB Type-C ports support adapters that can output different types of video such as HDMI, VGA, and DisplayPort, all from one USB Type-C port on your computer or device.

Try this: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04723006 link for more information  Using USB Type-C.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello Echo_Lake,

Sorry but I am not sure of what I should be doing following that link. It only appears to provide specifications of which I have already reviewed.

Just to add from review of the page, I have the supplied 65W genuine supplied HP power adaptor for the laptop and the genuine supplied USB-C to HDMI adaptor P/N 831118-001 SPS: 831752-001.

Is there a next stage of diagnosis that I should be following?

regards

HeathDS.

HP Recommended

@HeathDS
Thank you for posting back. 

The link will provide more information about USB Type-C, see USB Type-C Cable and Connector Specification

You can try this setup at the local tech store in order to isolate the issue. If its a software-related issue by reinstalling windows operating system will fix all software related issue and also it reinstall original factory shipped software.

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961#AbT3 to perform a system recovery.

Note: Back up all personal files and read all caution statements before performing a system recovery.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem which has only reared it's ugly head in the past few weeks. However, the fault is not with the tv or cable. Until recently, using an HDMI cable, I was able to watch foreign tv programmes on my tv set via my laptop with a VPN, but now it cuts out after a while. Removing the cable and re-seating it allows it to work, but not for long until it happens again.

Strangely enough it only happens when I use a VPN on my laptop - without a VPN and using a different tv broadcaster the problem doesn't exist.  I do not feel that the cable is at fault, as it works fine as mentioned.

I am loathe to reset the laptop or mess with settings which ultimately will do nothing based on previous experiences of faults due to upgrades etc. 

Any clues?

HP Recommended

Hello Matt2Baker.

I tried all the solutions they suggested, except reinstalling the software. I have too many concerns on doing this so I actually gave up. The sport season I was streaming has finished for 2019 so I simply stopped watching. I know that is not going to help you but I couldn't find any other way to fix the issue as I was not using a VPN when the issue occurred. I had also logged in from multiple countries (Germany, Slovenia, Bosnia etc) so it couldn't be a location issue.

After studying all the recommendations, I still can't confirm why it only happens on sport streaming (for me) and that watching movies never caused the issue. The only thing I could think of was that it was a combination of the power supply via the HDMI cable to the TV (several of the threads recommended a 95W+ power supply to the laptop which is then passed to the TV via the HDMI and I was travelling with a only a 65W adaptor) combined with the higher refresh rate of live TV (I know this is 100mHz or something on sports vs. 50mHz for movies). With these two issues combined, I could hypothesise that the TV wasn't getting enough power to maintain the image.... but thats just a guess.

Good luck.

HeathDS.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.