Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (179 Views)

Updated then crackling sound?

Product Name: HP Notebook - 15-ac109na
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop just updated automatically and now my sound has stopped working properly. It sounds all crackily, almost like it's broken but I know it isn't because it was working fine before the update. I've checked for any further updates and done them but the sound is still bad.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Top Student
Message 2 of 6 (168 Views)

Re: Updated then crackling sound?

Hi, you can try uninstalling the updates or rolling back the updated audio driver (in case it has been updated)
Top Student
Message 3 of 6 (164 Views)

most easily is if a restore point has been created else a set of steps is required. Both methods are described here http://www.howtogeek.com/206271/how-to-roll-back-or-uninstall-a-problematic-windows-update/
Honor Student
Message 4 of 6 (150 Views)

Thanks for responding.

I've just gone through the step-by-step system restore which is supposed to have undone the update (though some things haven't gone back to how they were so I'm not sure if it's actually undone it or not...), but the sound is still really bad so what else could I try?

Honor Student
Message 5 of 6 (145 Views)

Just to add, I've now undone the updates (including the security one which I got today so maybe I should reinstall that...) for sure but sound is still not working right.

Top Student
Message 6 of 6 (128 Views)

Mmm, last thing i can think of to isolate the updates and drivers as cause is by replacing the oem audio Driver by a stock windows driver.  If that does not work then i am lost for options other than a hardware repair.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation