Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
g60 500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

By chance, does anyone know what the microphone fix was on the G60 500 series Pavillion.  I still use this little laptop and i love it, but the microphone was always so crappy.  it would be nice if i could try and fix it, and easier if i know what the problem was.  it always seems to me tha the mic wasn't lined up with the hole, or the hole was plugged.  anyone?  thanks in advance.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@bloort

Welcome to HP Community

I have gone through your Post and would like to help

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

1. Click My devices in the top menu, and then click Updates in the My PC or My notebook pane.

Click Updates in the My notebook pane

2. Click Check for updates and messages to scan for new updates.

Updates list in HP Support Center

3. Review the list of updates. Updates with a yellow information icon are recommended. Updates with a blue information icon are optional.

4. Click the update name for a description, version number, and file size.

5. Select the box next to any updates you want to install, and then click Download and install.

Next ensure Windows is up to date.

Select the Start  button, and then go to Settings  > Update & security  > Windows Update , and select Check for updates. If Windows Update says your device is up to date, you have all the updates that are currently available

If the issue persists please follow the instructions in this Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03421813

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you and have a wonderful day 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your thorough reply.  I have done everything you have outlined in your reply, and more.  This laptop is too old for support assistant to bother with i'm sure.  What i've gathered from searching the internet is that this model of laptop had a reluctant recall on the microphone.  The microphone works, but the sound quality is so muffled and low that it is unusable for anything really.  It sounds to me like it's not lined up correctly with the little hole in the laptop case where it lives...like the mic is covered up with something and responding at only 10% of what it should...and muffled.

I was hoping to discover if it was a physical alignment problem, or if the microphone itself was simply defective.  If the microphone was merely lined up incorrectly with the hole, i might try taking the laptop apart and fixing it.  but if the microphone itself was defective, then i wouldn't want to try that.  trying to determine the details of what the problem was, cause it was fixed in a recall.  this i have read.

thanks.

HP Recommended

blow me down.  your support assisnt worked beautifully this time.  and quick.  but alas, has not found any problems.  the only way to get the sound to work in windows 10 is to msconfig / boot / advanced / and set maxmem.  this works great, except when the computer resumes from sleep, there is no sound.

i'm fairly convinced the mic problem is physical, but it would be nice to know for sure before i attempt surgury.

HP Recommended

@bloort

As a last resort I suggest you perform a Reset. Link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

You can also try running a diagnostic from the F2

- Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the Notebook.
- Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. 
- When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
- On the main menu, click Component Tests and Audio > Microphone

If the issue persists please contact HP Support for Service Options

Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

yeah, no.  This is a fresh bare metal build of win10.  It's been reset a few times already.  good practice.  Seriously, it sounds as if the hole for the microphone was never drilled through the plastic.  or the microphone is not lined up with the hole.  it works, but is so non responsive, it's not practical to use.  i'm still looking to see if i can find information on what was done to fix it.  was the mic replaced, or just re-positioned to line up with the hole for the mic? but thanks.

HP Recommended

@bloort

That can only be assessed in the Service Center since every case defers. If it's only an alignment issue then they will realign it but if it's a faulty Mic then the Microphone needs to be replaced

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

(my login went south on me)

I'm pretty much a walking talking service depot on my own.    The problem was very common as it ended up to be a product recall.  I would just like to learn some detail what the common problem was...so i can either order a part, or simply fix it.  If i were to guess, i would say the back of the mic is facing the little hole, and it should be the front of the mic facing the hole.  But i don't want to take it apart if i actually need a part first.  nor do i want to order a part to discover it wasn't needed.  ya with me? lol  The mic works, but it's extremely muffled, and barely audible.  And that was a common issue with this build.

HP Recommended

@bloort

Thanks for keeping me posted. As you mentioned it could be a MIC alignment issue

I suggest you contact HP Support for Service Options

Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

i've gone around in circles at the support site trying to find an email or a phone number.  every button that says contact HP support takes me to the same page, that says my product is out of warranty, or a list of authorised service depots...which shows a map of stores, who don't actually service anything, they just recieve items and forward them on to HP.  The virtual agent is neat, but we're not on the same page.  I did try a phone number i found once, but it was just the answering service.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.