Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14-ce2xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Steps: I dual run Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10. I did a Bios update (to F.21, latest version) in Windows yesterday; also, Windows updated Micron SSD firmware update and an Intel firmware update which I did. The Micron update was successful whereas the other just disappeared (and shows up nowhere, neither in Update History nor in Downloads folder "HP Downloads").

Problem: After these updates, the sound on my headphones became poor in quality and the volume very low. It's horrible, inaudible for the most part, and what you can (barely) hear is not worth listening to due to the slight "metallic" quality.

Solutions attempted:

- Roll back BIOS to previous version from HP website - FAILED ("The BIOS update is not compatible with this device").

- Run Troubleshooter - FAILED (no problems detected; it advises to disable Enhancements)

- Modify or enable "Enhancements" - FAILED (there is no "Enhancements" tab in the Properties window of the playback device, which is "Realtek(R) Audio".. There is only "General"/"Levels"/"Advanced"/"Spatial sounds").

- Talked to a support agent for 8 (!!) hours without success. At the end no answer (I suppose her shift must have ended, or something)

- I followed all the steps suggested here: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Windows-10-quot-Enhancements-quot-tab-has-disappeared-n...  - FAILED

- Reset BIOS settings - FAILED. No change.

- Windows restore point: FAILED. There are no restore points.

This is the second time I have a HP Pavilion with major issues. The last one had a broken ventilator (very noisy) and a Smart check error on the hard disk. Starting to feel regretful for having chosen HP

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ristinix 

Edits -

Removed the suggestion for business class product (response to last comment in original post).

The comment was out of context, unnecessary, and served no purpose.

Consider...

Driver for Windows v1909

Realtek High-Definition (HD) Audio Driver

sp100576.exe

Information files:

sp100576.cva

sp100576.html

Version=6.0.8816.1

[Operating Systems]
WT64_1909=OEM

=================================================================

Check hardware

Windows key + X + (then) A  (admin cmd prompt)

type command:

wmic

In wmic control, type command similar to the following

NOTES

Replace the "account_name" entry with your account

Replace "LocalSystem" with the name of your computer

/output:”C:\Users\account_name\Documents\SoundDev_LocalSystem.html” sounddev list /format:hform

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before making changes...

(How to) Create Restore Point

Stop all programs:  Browsers, games, Applications, etc.

Control Panel > icon view > System > System Protection

Click (Highlight) your main disk (C) > Select Create a Restore Point

OR

(As available)

Create a restore point now for the drives that have system protection turned on

Create

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reference and Resources – Places to find help, solve problems, and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Service and Maintenance Guide (Replacement Parts and Procedures), Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP Pavilion 14-ce2000 Laptop PC

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

what the OP (ristinix) needs is a legacy Realtek HD Audio driver in HDA (non-UAD or non-DCH) format.

try the following recent Realtek audio drivers in HDA format:

sp103828 (v6.0.8940.1)

sp103630 (v6.0.8934.1)

sp102278 (v6.0.8924.1)

any of these HDA drivers will have the "Enhancements" tab available - the newer Realtek audio drivers in UAD/DCH format (like the one from sp100576) do not have the "Enhancements" tab as that is normal behavior (aka. by design of Realtek)

but first, the existing Realtek(R) audio driver needs to be uninstalled completely using either the uninstaller from the Programs & Features control panel (appwiz.cpl) [or by using DriverStore Explorer and uninstalling all Realtek "software components"], reboot and install any of the realtek audio drivers listed.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the messages. None of the solutions above helped.

Especially the advice about buying a "business class product" was quite odd - I do not use the device for business purposes (only to watch netflix) nor do I buy it on a business' budget. Furthermore, I hardly think this solution would remedy the bad quality of the product compared to previous laptops I've had (my last one was 200 euros cheaper and I never had any sort of trouble with it), or the bad quality of HP's customer service, ending shifts in the middle of troubleshooting etc.

The drivers could have been potentially more helpful - but none of them worked. Also, system recovery did not work - it gets stuck at restoring registry and then reboots & fails (apparently, noticed before by HP users (but no solution suggested here other than powering off the laptop): https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/System-Restore-Stuck-at-restori...).

Temporary solution: complete wipe, and installed a trial version of a volume booster.

HP Recommended

@ristinix 

I agree -

I removed the comment regarding upgrading your tech to improve the overall experience.

Budget aside - not everyone wants a business class machine.

If I come across anything different that has not already been mentioned elsewhere in the Community, I will post back.

Thank you for participating in our HP Community.

We are a world community of volunteers dedicated to supporting HP technology

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.