Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi, I need some help. I'm trying to connect an external mic but I think the jack only works for headphones.

I have an HP Pavillion 17 Notebook PC and the model number is E4W31UA#ABA. Do I just need to get a new mic that supports USB? Thank you in advance.

@anthony82 wrote:

Hello kish02,

You are looking for the specs on your laptop.

The jack is usually designed for mic / headphones.

Please post your product and model number.

You can find this information by holding the FN key and pressing the ESC key.

I should be able to find your manual and tell you for sure.

Have a good day.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Your machine has  Audio-out (headphone) jack/Audio in (microphone) jack on the left hand side, next to the SD card reader. Unfortunately you can only Connect optional powered stereo speakers, headphones, earbuds, a headset, or a television audio cable. Also connects an optional headset microphone. This jack does not support optional microphone-only
devices.

Your option to buy USB microphone (or similar) is the way to go.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

My mic and headset are no longer of use to me because someone thought it was a good idea to no longer allow for a mic jack.  What possible advantage is that supposed to give to customers? Isn't that who you're supposed to be accomodating. Sorry I bought your machine. I won't buy your product next time.

HP Recommended

I had this problem aswell. Today I just got my new headset. I opened it and the cord leads up to two cords which you connect to your headphones, and microphone jack. I couldn't find the hole for the microphone. I have a HP Pavilion Notebook, the product number is N5R49UA#ABA. I'm very confused, can somebody please help?

HP Recommended

@Kevin31

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand you can't find the microphone port on your PC,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you check your user guide or product specifications?

If you haven't, Click here to view the same as the Audio interface on your PC has a Headphone-out/microphone-in combo jack, which means you will need to use a headphone that works on a combo jack to resolve this issue.

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.