Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP ENVY x360 Laptop - 13-ay0055cl

internal microphone is unplugged. sound setting has no input device. unable to test record.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue on my Envy X360 15-ed0176ng (all of a sudden, before everything was working since I got the laptop around a week ago). 

When going to Windows Device Manager and selecting to show hidden devices I can see multiple devices showing as not connected (everything translated by myself, as I'm running Windows with German locale):

- Audio, Video and Gamecontrollers:

-- Intel Display-Audio

-- Intel Smart Sound Technology

-- Proxy for Microsoft Streaming Service

-- Realtek(R) Audio

- Software Components

-- HP Audio Hardware Support Application

-- Realtek Audio Effects Component

-- Realtek Audio Effects Component (INT)

-- Realtek Audio Universal Service

-- Realtek Speech Preprocessing IP DLL Component

-- Sound Research Audio Effects Component

- System Devices

-- Detection Verification

Additionally, I see one device marked with a yellow triangle and an exclamation mark:

- System Devices

-- Intel(R) Smart Sound Technology-OED

When opening that devices properties, it says "Failed to start device. (Code 10) Failed to load external libraries."

I already tried to uninstall the devices shown as "not connected" and rebooting the laptop, but this did not bring them back.

Additionally, a "normal" restore from the Windows setting also did not bring these devices back, only after performing a full reset with the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (which took quite some time, therefore I don't want to try that again). After this full reset everything was working again for a short time, but then some Windows updates were installed automatically, including driver updates from Intel - which then lead to the same situation as described (multiple devices shown as not connected, one device shown as "Code 10 error".

HP Recommended

HP chat support helped on this problem for half day and finally the internal MIC was working. 

Here is what was done on the computer:

1. download windows 10 OS to a flash drive;

2. reinstall Windows OS from flash drive;

3. reinstall HP BIOS update;

4. reinstall HP support assistant

Obviously something was missing or not installed correctly before the computer was shipped out. Wish it could have caught by HP QA.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Did you already install all offered Windows updates after the described actions?

I don't want to jinx it happening to you as well, but it was working temporarily for me, too after I downloaded the Windows OS to a USB stick (that's what I meant with "performing a full reset with the HP Cloud Recovery Tool") and reinstalled everything, only to have my mic disappear again after all of the available Windows updates, including some Intel driver updates, were installed automatically (without me being able to stop this).

I even tried this a second time yesterday, and it happened the second time, as well.

HP Recommended

yes, i installed Windows updates as well. 

please find HP chat support and follow his/her instructions. they know what to reinstall and what versions to use.

HP Recommended

Yeah, I was starting to think the same.

Luckily it seems that now everything is working again for me, after I forced the installation of the Windows 10 2004 feature update (by downloading the Microsoft Update Assistant from https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/help/4028685/windows-10-get-the-update in my case). I now have my internal microphone back and all of the devices I listed above are no longer marked as being disconnected.

So after all it seems to me that Windows Update was pushing the most current Intel drivers to my system, although some of these only seem to work with Windows 10 2004. This would at least explain what I observed on my system.

HP Recommended

HI , I had this problem too. The mic wasn't working and it was apparently "unplugged". The mute button would either not work or be stuck with an orange light.

To fix the problem I followed the advice on this thread and my mic was fully functional and sorted.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/Internal-microphone-doesn-t-show-up-on-HP-Envy-x360/td-...

May I add that I had updated my windows from version 1909 to 2004 before doing this as HP doesn't ship the laptops with the latest version. Which is poor on their part. If you cant find this upgrade in the windows update section in settings then you can force upgrade using: https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/3159635/windows-10-update-assistant

After all of this your laptop mic should be fully working. If not reply with your specific situation.

HP Recommended

Coming from an HP Envy with AMD Ryzen chip....I had the same issue.

Chatted with a tech and the solution was to uninstall the graphic drivers, then go to the AMD site and reinstall the drivers. Restart to finish the set up and everything worked great from there (well, functioned I should day...the Envy's internal mics aren't that great).

HP Recommended

This fix worked for me as well. Uninstalled AMD driver, reinstalled directly from AMD site and restart. Thank you!!!

HP Recommended

Nvidia screen card what do I do

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.