Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

laptop every night at midnight, powered on and sitting idle, plays a new year's tune on its own. How to stop this?

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name LAPTOP-IV6OG9LC
System Manufacturer HP
System Model OMEN by HP Laptop
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU W2N48UA#ABA
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.38, 5/24/2017
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 82.34
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
BaseBoard Product 825B
BaseBoard Version 82.34
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.19041.2251"
User Name LAPTOP-IV6OG9LC\Terry Isaacs
Time Zone Central Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 12.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 11.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 6.74 GB
Total Virtual Memory 13.7 GB
Available Virtual Memory 8.09 GB
Page File Space 1.81 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@PapaTee,

Welcome to our HP User Forum!

All right, let's put a stop to this.

Go to Device Manager and uncheck every Wake-On-Lan (WOL) option there is at your network card's Properties' Advanced tab. Also go to your mouse's Properties settings and uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer":

NonSequitur777_0-1673467541277.png

Check your Task Scheduler Library by typing in: taskschd.msc in your Windows search bar, and right-click on: taskschd.msc and choose "Run as administrator" . Pay particular attention to anything that shows under the "Triggers" column to start at "12:00 AM every day", and if there's is something that looks like running an mp3 file or something like that at midnight, right-click on that task and hit "Disable".

NonSequitur777_1-1673467765208.png

Hope this was helpful.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

HP Recommended

Going to use your solution in a little bit. Sometimes it plays the tune in the background even when I'm using the laptop at midnight. Will this be addressed by your solution as well?

HP Recommended

@PapaTee,

Yes, it should be.  Your witching hour tune sure 'sounds' like a scheduled task to me and will most likely show up in the Task Scheduler Library as a scheduled/repeated duration defined task:

NonSequitur777_0-1673470359271.png

I would be surprised if the steps as outlined in my previous post wouldn't solve your issue.  If the tune does return, please let me know.

Kind Regards,

NonSequitur777

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.