Aitchisonian Tutor
Tutor
6 3 0 6
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

microphone remains Mute - not recording!!

HP Envy 17t J100 Leap Motion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently upgraded my HP Envy 17t J100 Leap Motion to Windows 10 anniversary edition. Unfortunately after the upgrade I have been having the following problems:

1.The microphone will automatically mute iteself and will not work for more that a couple of seconds before going mute. I have uninstalled and re-installed the drivers and apps associated with the audio and recording device but nothing seems to work. Search of new drivers reveals that I have the latest drivers installed.

2. The laptop is running very hot after the windows anniversary upgrade with the fan running on full blast the whole time. Have not been able to figure out the how to resolve this issue.

Any help with these two issues will be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9856 9841 921 1431
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Aitchisonian, Hope you are well!

Welcome back to the HP Forums, I'd be happy to help you with your Envy laptop issues after the Windows 10 anniversary updates.

Appreciate your efforts in updating the drivers. Try the below-mentioned steps to fix the audio issues:

• Go to device manager (You can give a right click on windows logo on bottom left corner of your screen and select device manager from the list)
  • Now maximize the “Sound, video and game controllers” from the list. You will see the audio driver. Right-click on “IDT high definition audio CODEC” and select “Update driver software”.
  • Select “Browse my computer for driver software” – Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.
  • Select “High Definition Audio Device” (Not IDT High Def...  This is important) and click Next. You will get a warning message but reply “Yes”.
  • Once windows have successfully updated the driver software, try playing the audio again and check.

I hope that fixes the microphone related issue.

The Laptop overheating and Fan issue can be resolved by cleaning the accumulation of dust and removing the clogs from the air vents of the laptop. You may have to update the BIOS in certain scenarios as well.

I found a wonderful document which gives you step by step instructions to fix this issue. Please check: http://hp.care/2ddatWm

Let me know how that goes. Good luck!

Cheers :)

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Aitchisonian Tutor
Tutor
6 3 0 6
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Dvortex, Thank you for your response. I had tried this driver earlier and did it again following your instructions. I even did a re-boot but the problem has not gone away. The microphone automatically goes on mute. I've tried both the drivers without any luck. No matter what I do I just can't seem to keep it from going mute.

On the heating issue - before I had posted the question I had searched the Support Forum and had found the document that you sent me the link for. Cleaned the fan and laptop to remove all dust - it was pretty clean. I also updated the BIOS ran all the system and hardware diagnostics which found no issues. Made sure HP Cool Sense is On and the laptop is in a cool room.

As I had mentioned the heating issue and the microphone issue both started after I upgraded to the windows 10 anniversary addition 2016. Prior to that I had no heating or microphone issues even when I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 in 2015.

All communication apps are rendered useless as the microphone is not working. Would appreciate any other suggestions to resolve these issue. Thank you.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
9856 9841 921 1431
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello @Aitchisonian,

Thank you for your reply.

Please try the steps mentioned below:

1. Right-click the speaker icon on lower right of your computer. (Near date / time)

2. Select "Recording Devices" from the pop-up options.

3. The "Sound" control pop-up window will display on the "Recording" tab.

4. Select the "Communications" tab.

5. For the question: "When Windows detects communications activity” answer with: "Do nothing".

6. Select "Apply"

7. Test to be sure your microphone no longer self-adjusts. 

8. If the problem is solved, close all pop-ups, enjoy. If problem persists, try the following:

9. Click the "Recording" tab of the "Sound" pop-up window.

10. Right click the used microphone and select "Properties".

11. Select the "Advanced" tab within the new pop-up window.

12. In the "Exclusive Mode" section, uncheck the following option: "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device"

13. Click the "Apply" button.

14. Test to be sure your microphone no longer self-adjusts.

15. If the problem is solved, close all pop-ups, enjoy. If problem persists, try the following:

16. Repeat steps number 9 through 13 for all other recording devices shown within the "Sound" window's "Recording" tab. 

17. Test to be sure your microphone no longer self-adjusts.

I will watch for your reply. Good luck!

Cheers :)

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
Aitchisonian Tutor
Tutor
6 3 0 6
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Dvortex, thank you for your reply and your suggestions to resolve the microphone muting issue.

Unfortunately over weekend and before I received your reply I was able to resolve the issue.

I had been researching this problem on the internet and found that a number of people had complained of this issue. Fortunately for me there was someone who had the similar issue I had and he was able to fix it. I followed his detailed instructions and was able to identify and fix the issue.

It was related to a malware file and once I identified that file and removed it the microphone and the heating issue issue both appear to have been resolved for now. Even though I have McAfee total protection running it did not catch this malware file. Malware bytes scan did fix the problem. Not sure how I got this file but it happened almost immediately after the windows 10 anniversary upgrade. (my suspicion is it came in from a Skype Ad!!)

Should this problem surface again I will try your options and let you know if the work. (the solution from 9-14 did not work as I had tried that before I had posted my question).

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

With Regards.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation