Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

mute button

Product name: HP Pavilion 13 x
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop mute button stays orange/red and I can't get it to turn off, and when I try to turn up the sound from the control panel it slides back to mute. I've restarted the laptop, tried instaling everything from the assitant, and nothing has worked. Please help? Preferably in simple, easy steps.

12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
1979 1975 183 585
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

mute button

1. Insitall Quick Launch software.

2. Uninstall and Install quick launch and audio software (Not Driver)

3. Check if any other devices connected to the computer is reducing/changing the volume.

This looks like software issue and not hardware so the drivers and application are causing the issue.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
CharET Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

mute button

Okay, so I installed the quick launch software and it restarted my laptop. But I'm not sure where to go to uninstall quick launch and audio software? And if I uninstall both software and quick launch, how would I reinstall them? Restart the laptop?

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
1979 1975 183 585
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

mute button

The steps were options. If one dosnt work then goto next step.

So has the issue been resolved after installing quick lauch software?

Wish you luck,
Karthik

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post)
0 Kudos
CharET Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

mute button

I did the first step of installing the quick launch, but the issue remains. I've tried looking for the quick launch and audio software through settings to try and uninstall them for step two, but I can't seem to find them.

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
1979 1975 183 585
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

mute button

From start (bit windows button on keyboard) and type 'programs and features' and left click on the search result.

From from the list find the quick launch and audio software installed. Click uninstall from the top bar after choosing the software. Restart the computer once the uninstall is complete. Now download the latest version of both software from below link and install them.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/

Wish you luck,
Karthik

0 Kudos
Highlighted
CharET Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

mute button

And it's ONLY audio software, right? Not an audio driver like say, realtek? Because I'm not sure what else on my files counts as audio software

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
1979 1975 183 585
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

mute button

Realteck has both Driver and Software. You will find driver in Device Manger and Software in Programs and Features.

So What you see in Programs and Features is software. You can remove the drivers too if you wish but the drives will reinstall automatically once you restrt the computer.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

0 Kudos
CharET Top Student
Top Student
7 6 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

mute button

Okay, so I uninstalled the quick software, and the reaktek, and the quick software only gave me an option to 'change' when I went to uninstall, so I selected that. then I restarted, and clicked your link to get the drivers updates, which was mostly downloading a hp assitant? Anyway, I restarted after that and I still have the mute problem

0 Kudos
Distinguished Professor
Distinguished Professor
1979 1975 183 585
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

mute button

I would request you to download the driver directly instead of HP Support Assistant.

Enter the product number on left hand side of the page and you will see the drivers list. Could you provide the complete product number so that I could pull up the page for you.

Wish you luck,
Karthik

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation