Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 15 notebook J9M35UA#ABA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

windows 10, 64-bit hp 15 notebook product # J9M35UA#ABA  [serial number removed]

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@philbry 

Please use the following instructions to fix

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c01186408

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

thanks, but 

i was unable to follow directions. there is only one driver listed. can't change default

HP Recommended

Hi, @philbry 

It seems to me that the W10 Intel HDMI audio driver is not installed.

Go to the device manager, click to expand the Sound, Video and Game Controllers device manager category.

You should be seeing two audio devices listed there.

A Realtek HD audio device (controls the PC speakers and headphones)

An Intel HD audio device (controls sound out of the HDMI port).

If there is a Realtek HD audio device and a generic HD audio device, then the W10 Intel HD audio driver needs to be installed.

Let me know what you see under that section of the device manager, and we will proceed from there.

HP Recommended

under device manager it lists the realtekHD and intel(r) display audio.

clicking on the intel driver it says device working properly, but under the events tab it says 

Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2882&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000\4&36cbb407&0&0201 requires further installation.

thanks for your help

phil

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Phil.

Are you sure that DEV_2882 is the correct ID?

Both of the W10 graphics driver files on your notebook's support page show the Intel HD audio driver as HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_2883

HP Recommended

yes. I copied & pasted everything that was in the information window under the events tab

HP Recommended

OK...

None of the drivers on your notebook's support page have the right W10 graphics driver but I found the one you need from another HP business class notebook.

I have zipped up and attached below, just the HD audio driver you need.

You will need to manually install the driver as follows...

Unzip the file to its folder.  Don't do anything with the files in the folder.

Go to the device manager, click on the Intel HD audio device that needs further installation.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder you unzipped.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC and see if you now get audio out of the HDMI port.

HP Recommended

windows has determined that the best drivers for this device are already installed

HP Recommended

Sorry that didn't work.

The only other suggestion I can offer would be to right click on the device, select uninstall.

Check the uninstall driver box, restart the PC, and try installing the driver again.

The Intel HD audio device might just be named HD audio device.

But that is the problem...the Intel HD audio device has driver issues, which is why you have no sound out of the HDMI audio device.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.