Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP pavilion 15-cw1507sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have had various issues with my HP laptop talking to Printer/scanner and it seems that my other problem with my first HP purchase is not unheard of after searching for information online. I bought my laptop in November 19 and from the first time I started it up I noticed how loud the fan was. I use it every day, several times a day and unfortunately now I have tinnitus and struggle to cope with the whiny noise it makes. I have resorted to using ear plugs which is ridiculous just to turn on a laptop. I have tried various settings changes to no avail. My question is , Is this a manufacturing fault or am I just unlucky with mine. My old lap top had far more programmes and clutter on and was far quieter. Is there anything I can do. Really cant afford to just bin it but also have to think of my sanity. It also has developed an intermittent sound issue so I can not watch videos as the sound cuts in and out.  

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Caz8, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Apologies for the inconvenience. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Also, check for any pending windows update. Reboot the computer. 

Kindly perform the steps mentioned in this document - Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly

If the issue persists, let us run a test on the hardware components of the PC

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. Perform System Test > Extensive test. Share the result on your next post.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have done all you suggested, updated the bios, windows is all up to date, I did all the settings change stuff already on your noisy fan link but as I suspected it has made no difference to the whiny noise constantly coming from  laptop. I understand when the machine has to work hard the fan cuts in, but the noise even before it accelerates is at a pitch that is just unacceptable to me. My tinnitus now hears this noise even after I switch the machine off.  Other laptops I have owned have not had this constant noise. The intermittent sound coming and going issue has been resolved I believe but sadly the whine remains.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.