Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
spectre360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have only had this laptop for a week. only used it twice and the speaker for pme side is already not working. What can i do for this issue  

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@kristina95

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP Spectre x360 series laptop. I read that one of the speakers in the laptop is not working. I'll be glad to assist you with this case.

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Please let me know the exact laptop model no. This link will help you to find the model no: http://hp.care/2bygf7l
  • Do you have external speakers or headphones to check if there is sound from the left and the right side? This will tell if the issue is the sound card or the speaker in the laptop.

Meanwhile, I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Power off the laptop.
  • Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.
  • Power ON the laptop.

Let us use the audio troubleshooter in Windows:

• In Windows, type find and fix audio into Search, or right-click the speaker icon  in the taskbar and select Troubleshoot sound problems.
  • Select Find and fix audio playback problems or Find and fix audio recording problems from the Search results.
  • Click Next.
  • Select the device you want to troubleshoot and click Next.

Figure: Detecting problems

Now, let us uninstall and reinstall the audio driver by following the below steps:

• Open the device manager.
  • Expand "Sound, video and game controllers". Right click on the audio drivers in there and select uninstall.
  • Close the device manager. Please download and install the audio drivers via this link: www.hp.com/drivers
  • Once the audio drivers are successfully installed for your HP laptop, you may restart the laptop. 

Finally, please perform a hardware test if the audio does not appear from the speaker. The following steps will help in running the test:

• Shutdown the laptop.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

• On the main menu, click Component Tests.

Figure : Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

• The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Figure : Sample list of Component Tests

Sample List of the Component tests

• Audio Test - The Audio Playback Test checks your system to make sure the audio device is functioning properly. During the test, a few music notes are played in sequence and then repeated. This test takes 1 minute to complete. To run the test, click Audio, and then click Run once. Choose either the speakers or the headphones. When asked, enter the number of notes you heard.

If the audio cannot be heard from the speaker then it confirms a hardware issue and in such a case you may contact our HP phone support team to check the available service options. However, if the audio is head from both the speakers, only then you may update the BIOS on your laptop via this link: www.hp.com/drivers. NOTE: The charger must be connected during the BIOS update. 

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Feel free to keep me posted. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

I've done all test you mentioned above. The speaker itself on the right side is not working. 

HP Recommended

@kristina95

Thank you for replying with the results. I truly appreciate your efforts and patience. 

The evidence points towards a hardware issue with the right side speaker. I suggest you to contact our HP phone support team to check the available service options for your laptop. 

Hope this helps. Please feel free to keep me posted for any further questions. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

I disagree with your assasment. I think it is driver related. Had the same problem. Speakers were replaced. Then had the same problem again. I wonder if there is anything to be done to have HP check for driver conflicts? And I do not simply mean tech support, but actual programers. I suspect this has to do with windows and bang and olfsen driver conflicts.

Tech support will,

Reinstall drivers

Update Bios

which might fix it for a while, then the  problem returns. 

Replace speakers

Reinstall drivers

which might fix it for a while, then the  problem returns. 

So frustrating to spend alot of money on a product that does not work as intended.

HP Recommended

I have same problem with my  Spectre x360 Convertible 15. Whenever my right speaker isn't working I need to update BIOS to solve it. 

HP Recommended

I manage to get it working without updating the BIOS - reinstalling the audio driver from HP and running component test in the BIOS.  We'll see how long it lasts.

HP Recommended

I did try your method before but still had right speaker malfunction. It's frustrating after a period of time same problem happens again and again.

HP Recommended

I want to say that as of the latest BIOS update. The problem seems fixed. I hope it will stay fixed. 

HP Recommended

The updated bios fixed my issue for about 6 weeks then the problem re-occurred. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.