Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-4003dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Problem started when I could hear sound watching videos, eg, Netflix, but couldnt hear sound when playing music, eg, MP3. As I was trying to trouble shoot that, I realized I could not hear anything over headphones plugged into the 3.5mm headphone jack. Then I discovered that the hp support site doesnt have any drivers for my model spectre.

I have followed the instructions listed here ...http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Spectre-13-4000-x360-Convertible-PC/7527520/model/7791774/doc...

but nothing has corrected teh problem. To the best of my knowledge I have all teh latest drivers from Realtex and Intel. There is no "generic" Micorosft High Definition Audio driver option shown in the listing of drivers on my machine and I haven't figured out how to get one.

Can anyone help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Jim0505

Thank you for replying,

I did some research and found this link it contains the windows HD Audio driver (generic) although this isn't neccessary if the realtek audio drivers have already been updated,

If the headphones work on an alternate device and yet don't work on this computer, it's possible port is malfunctioning,

I would recommend you get it repaired or replaced via HP phone support:

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Jim0505

Welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂

As I understand there is sound while watching videos but no sound while playing an .Mp3 file, also the headphones aren't working whilst being plugged into the 3.5mm headphone jack,

I need a little clarity on your concern:

Which video player are you using to play the video?

Which Audio player is being used for the Mp3 file?

When was the last time it worked fine(date)?

Have you played a video online using Youtube? do you have sound on it?

Have you followed all the steps on that document you've posted? (Just curious as it also includes a system recovery/reinstalling windows)

Eager to help,

Please reply with the answers for further assistance,

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've managed to fix a number of the problems.  My laptop's built in speakers work fine and I am able to play MP3 audio and hear movies and videos.  (Netflix, youtube, Windows Media Player).  I have also successfully connected to my TV using HDMI as well as connected to a headset using a USB connection.

The problem seems to be limited to the 3.5mm headphone jack. I do not recall the last timeit worked;  I just bought this machine in March it was refurbished and it may not ever have worked. The drivers do not seem to recognize it. So either the jack itself is not functioning, or something is wrong with software. I have updated the drivers from Realtek. I have tried the Windows trouble shooter. I have tried the HP Support diagnostics. I have tried rolling back to a previous configuration.  I have NOT tried re-installing Windows 10. That seems pretty drastic.

Do you know how I can get the generic Windows HD Audio driver? This is one of the steps I have not been able to do because it does not show up in my list of drivers.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Jim0505

Thank you for replying with the details,

I appreciate the depth of the information you've collected and I must say it's quite impressive,

And I agree that the recovery is a little too drastic and dramatic, Besides the sound card driver works for both speakers and headphones, there are no other drivers available as such.

Hence, I would suggest to check those headphones with an alternate device such as a Smartphone, laptop, etc...

If they work on the alternate device, check if the Headphones are enabled as a playback device.

To do this, please see the steps below:

• Click the Start Pearl and then type Sound in the Start Search Box.
  • Select Change Sound Card Settings in the Start Menu Options.
  • Next, under the Playback Tab, right click and select Show Hidden Devices and Show Disconnected    Devices if available.
  • Select Headphones and enable

To Increase the volume on your headphone:

Method 1

• Right-click the volume icon in the notification area.
  • Click Open Volume Mixer and increase the volume for Headphones.

Method 2

• Right-click the volume icon in the notification area.
  • Go to Playback devices and right click Headphones under Playback.
  • Go to Properties and set the volume to the maximum under Levels tab.
  • Click Apply and OK.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.  If they did, that’s awesome!  Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I appreciate the help and the speedy responses.

Unfortunately still no luck. I followed your instructions:

To do this, please see the steps below:

1. Click the Start Pearl and then type Sound in the Start Search Box.
  2. Select Change Sound Card Settings in the Start Menu Options.
  3. Next, under the Playback Tab, right click and select Show Hidden Devices and Show Disconnected    Devices if available.
  4. Select Headphones and enable

When I got to step 3 above, my version of Windows showed two options wiht checkboxes, ie show disable devices, and show diconnected devices. Both had been selected. The Select headphones option does not exist.

some of the troubleshooting guides talk about selecting a generic Windows HD Audio driver. This is not showing as an option for me and I havent been able to find it. any idea on this one?

Jim

HP Recommended

@Jim0505

Thank you for replying,

I did some research and found this link it contains the windows HD Audio driver (generic) although this isn't neccessary if the realtek audio drivers have already been updated,

If the headphones work on an alternate device and yet don't work on this computer, it's possible port is malfunctioning,

I would recommend you get it repaired or replaced via HP phone support:

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, the headphones work on other machines. I think the port itself is not functioning. I'll try bluetooth headphones and pretend it didnt happen! Thanks for helping.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.