12 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

stereo mix IDT Hi Def audio bad quality sound

hp envy 15-j144na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Stereo mix IDT Hi Def audio bad quality sound recording

The sound quality when recording Stereo Mix (IDT High Def) is really poor and "tinny" sounding

Appreciate anyone with solution.

2 REPLIES 2
Retired
Retired
14802 746 1759
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @chris2001net,

Thank you for joining the HP Forums! 

I saw your post on how you are getting bad quality sound with your HP Envy 15-j144na Notebook. I am happy to help you with this issue! 

Please try the steps within this guide, No Sound or Distorted Sound from Speakers (Windows 10). And, let me know the results! 

If this, or any of the posts on this thread, has helped you to resolve the issue, please click on Accept as Solution on said post. To show that you 'like', or are thankful of my post, kindly click the thumbs up below. If there is anything else I can do to help, please be sure to let me know!

Hope this guide helps, and thank you for posting! :)

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

0 Kudos
chris2001net Tutor
Tutor
12 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.

When I use any sound recording program and record from the stereo mix recording device for the inbuilt sound card, the recording has less range of frequency and sounds worse than the sound I hear at the time of recording.

So for example I play an mp3 in VLC or mediaplayer classic or a video on youtube, I record the sound using the Stereo Mix recording device (which records what you hear generated from the inbuilt sound playback device).

I looked at the link you suggested.

1. I've checked volume settings its not that as it would be quieter instead of sounding worse,
2. its not the mute setting as i wouldn't hear anything at all.
3. I've used external speakers and headphones, obviously they sound better than the laptop speakers, I've recorded from stereo mix and then played back the recording and it sounds worse than the original recording, so it doesn't make a difference whether its coming from the laptop speakers or external speakers or headphones as expected.
4. trouble shooting tool in windows didn't help.
5. updated drivers to HP's and to the original board manufactures - no improvement.
6. checked its set as the default audio device - it wouldn't record what I was playing back otherwise
7. yes performed a hard reset - that made no difference.
8. Yes updated the bios to latest for my laptop.
9. resorting my laptop didn't help.

At the moment I'm pretty sure its a bug in the audio driver.

Can you think of anything else which might cause the stereo mix (what I hear) to not sound exactly as the original playback sounds?
0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation