cancel
PMR1 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

15-ac121dx smoking where power chord connects

I've seen a number of posts regarding smoke coming from laptop - none quite the same as mine.  Plugged laptop in to charge and smoke came out where chord connects.   Currently can't turn the machine on because the battery is not charged, so don't know the extent of damage to the computer . Very unfortunate timing - one year and 1 month from date of purchase.  Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
Provost Provost
Provost
39249 39064 6046 10521
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Needs to be taken to a competent technician. There is a short in the motherboard or the charger and one or the other or both is going to have to be replaced. Possible even likely the smoke (actually the short that caused the smoke) caused massive internal trauma to the laptop. 

0 Kudos
JoeJoe5678 Tutor
Tutor
9 7 0 1
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does your power cord have the code LS-15 imprinted anywhere on it? I have heard that there has been a recall for cords with that imprint. An article about that is here: http://h30652.www3.hp.com/

0 Kudos
PMR1 Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for taking the time to respond.   I'd imagine it's never a good thing when a response includes the words "massive internal trauma."   Might just be time to buy a new laptop - probably not another HP. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation