Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 8 (211 Views)

15-j051nr bios update, needed dump, black screen

Product Name: HP ENVY TouchSmart 15-j051nr

Hello all, we got an black screen on HP ENVY 15-j051nr, everything looks like problem with bios, if we are trying to recover bios from USB flash drive win+b combination - there is caps lock 2 led blinks and computer still stuck in black screen. Maybe somebody knows solution of this ? I found on internet it is could be updated with flash drive, but need to be 01966.sig file, which could not be found... 

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 8 (179 Views)

Re: 15-j051nr bios update, needed dump, black screen

@marketolog13

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out Smiley Happy 

As I understand you have an issue with the BIOS and need assistance with recovering it,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you follow any HP Articles on recovering the BIOS?

Have you been looked for the BIOS file on the Official HP website for software & Downloads?

You haven't mentioned the OS currently installed on your PC, however, I've found your product description and needed to confirm if you currently have the Windows 8 (64-bit)?

While you respond to that, here's a few things you should do:

To resolve a BIOS issue, install the latest BIOS for your computer. See Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers for more information.

Refer to one of the following links for information about restoring the BIOS on your computer:

There are two BIOS files available:

HP Notebook System BIOS Update (Intel Processors)
Version: F.69 Rev.A

Or Version: F.56

Save the file on the USB drive or simply follow the instruction mentioned in the above article and that should help you recover the BIOS.

Keep me posted for further assistance Smiley Wink

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 3 of 8 (155 Views)

Dear, thank You for reply,

We did it fully according to the manuals on HP website.

The problem is:

After we insert usb flash with bios we are pressing win+b, something starts but in 1 sec it stucks and we see only 2 led blinks of caps lock with big pause... and screen remains black...

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 8 (144 Views)

@marketolog13

Thanks for the reply. 

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

I request you to contact HP Phone support for further assistance on this. 

Cheers.

sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Honor Student
Message 5 of 8 (128 Views)

Dear, we flashed the bios from the HP website, laptop is working now but it has missed the external videocard GT740m, there is no this card in device manager, and cannot install driver - it says there is no such hardware, we guess that maybe we flashed incorrect bios, just updted to the last version through windows, but still no videocard, maybe some of HP stuff can send correct dump of the bios with DMI data on my laptop?

Thanks upfront

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 8 (106 Views)

Hi @marketolog13,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you have followed the steps suggested by the previous tech and it seems to have helped, however you are having an issue with the graphics card not being detected in the device manager. Don't worry I'll be really glad to help you with this,

Let's try to reset the Graphics card and then check if it gets detected in the device manager, you could also check under other devices.

If the issue persists, I would suggest you remove the graphics and try this on another computer.  If it's working on another computer. I would suggest you remove it back and insert it on the old computer and then try to update the graphics card drivers from the manufacturer's website, using this link.

If these steps did not help, I would suggest you try to perform a Bios roll back to the previous version (Windows + B Key), using this support document.

Keep me posted, if the issue persists for further assistance.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 7 of 8 (102 Views)

Dear, if I correctly understand this laptop can start even if the videochip is broken? By the way, is it possible to request original bios from this one? Because if we flash bios from the HP website it is missing windows key. Thanks for help, we will try to change videochip

HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 8 (91 Views)

Hi @marketolog13,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand before you come to any conclusion of replacing the graphics card, I would suggest you could try these steps to activate Windows.

Click on Start, then Control Panel, then click on System and Security, and finally click on System.

Then scroll all the way down to the bottom and you should see a section called Windows activation, which says “Windows is activated” and gives you the Product ID. It also includes the genuine Microsoft software logo.

If it's not activated. Don't worry, though, as I'll be glad to help you out as you could attempt activating your Windows using the following methods:

Activate by phone (IVR) using Microsoft:

* Step 1 – Click on Windows Orb and enter ‘slui.exe 4’ into the search box

* Step 2 – From the search list, click on ‘slui.exe 4’

* Step 3 – From the drop-down list, choose the country you are residing now

* Call the designated toll-free number; Read out the number displayed on the screen accordingly.

* The IVR will then read out a list of character to you, enter it into the screen and Activate windows.

If the issue persists, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. If your product is out of warranty, please choose paid options to get the tech support number.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation