Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

17t-n100 17" Envy Will Not Turn On, AC Light Off - How/Where Can I Get It Repaired?

HP Recommended
Envy 17" 17t-n100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My 17t-n100 will not power up. When plugged in, the Power/Charging LED next to the power jack does not light up. I have done all the home diagnostics suggested, also tested/replaced the AC adapter and AC power jack. Same result, will not power up, LED does not light. I therefore suspect it needs to be repaired.

The original warranty is expired, so I know I would have to pay for it to be repaired. I would like to have it serviced.

I have been unable to contact an HP agent directly through the website. I tried contacting my local authorized repair facilities, listed on HP's site, and have gotten no response. Not surprising given the disruptions and increased demand for service right now.

I'm hoping someone from HP can reach out to me and help me get my computer repaired.

Thank you. 

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Me again, just wanted to clarify that I tested both the original HP AC adapter, and a newly-purchased replacement AC adapter, on both my current 17t-n100 and an older HP Envy 17 M7-J020DX. The older Envy is out of service due to the broken hinge issue, Both AC adapters do light up the power jack LED on the M7-J202DX, but not on the 17t-n100. I also tried the original HP AC adapter for the M7-J020DX on the 17t-n100, still no LED light.

I know that these machines have slightly different power specs, but I'm figuring 3 adapters lighting up the old LED, and none of them lighting up the current LED, likely means the ac adapters and the wall plugs are not the problem, and the 17t-n100 is not able to receive power.

I bought the 17t-n100 to replace the broken M7-J020DX, with the intention of having the J020DX repaired so I'd have backup, but you know what they say about intentions.

So I'm really hoping I can get the 17t-n100 repaired, back up and running.

Cheers,

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thought I posted this last night, but didn't post? Apologies if this is a duplicate post.

Decided to leave the 17t-n100 plugged in for a while, and the power jack led did light up---surprise! And the power button works, but now there's no boot, and single blinking CAPS LOCK error message. One blink every 3-4sec, which if my googling works, indicates CPU failure?

So it's confirmed it's not a power jack, ac adapter or wall plug problem.

*Tried to boot to BIOS, didn't work.

*Tried to disconnect the RTC/bios battery, but the battery plug resisted leaving the socket on the board, so I didn't force it.

*Swapped RAM modules back and forth between slots, including RAM that worked in older Envy, didn't work.

FWIW, the 17t-n100 Service Manual illustration/procedure for swapping the RTC battery doesn't match my machine. Manual shows a naked battery in a battery holder, easey-peasey to remove it. I have a battery sandwiched in plastic, glued/taped to the board, with a wire lead terminating in a plug. The plug goes into a socket on the board. If you search for "17t-n100 rtc battery" you'll see what they look like.

The only other thing I can figure to test on my own is taking out the M.2 SSD board I'm booting from and using the disc from my previous Envy 17. That, and figuring out how to pull the RTC battery is all I've got left.

Likely I'm buying a new notebook, and since is the 2nd higher-end HP to fail on me in 4yrs, it's probably going to be a different brand. Don't have much confidence in a third HP at this point.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So the answer is new Lenovo ThinkPad P73 on order, with 3yr warranty, next-day service, yadda yadda yadda.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation