Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Probook 470 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I get 3 long 2 short beeps at power on after memory upgrade. But only from the second start!

At the first start will it work. Bios displays a message that the memory size has changed and if I want to commit the new size. After that I get into Windows 10 and can work as expected. But after a shutdown it does not work and the 3 long 2 short beeps at power on occurs.

If I replace the memory by the original one the notebook starts again. If I then upgrade again I can start again too but on second start I get the bios error again.

The most current bios version is installed already.

What can be the problem here?

Note: I already plugged of the notebook from power and pressed the power button for about 1 minute but with no effect on next start the bios error occurs again.

The new memory is: Kingston HyperX Impact SO-DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-2400, CL14-14-14 (HX424S14IBK2/32)

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Hi

My guess is incompatible memory/memory configuration...

Hardware

The embedded controller has timed out waiting for BIOS to return from memory initialization.

Indicates potential memory failure.

1 Reseat memory.

2 Correct memory configuration.

3 Test with known good memory.

4 Replace affected component.

So is the CMOS/RTC battery in good condition and storing the new values?

Specification
Description
Standard
DDR4-2400 SDRAM (transfer rates up to 2400 MT/s)
note:
System runs at 2133 MT/s (Intel 8th Gen CPU runs at 2400).
(2) SODIMM slots supporting dual-channel memory (both slots are customer accessible/upgradeable)
Maximized dual-channel performance requires SODIMMs of the same size and speed in both memory slots.
Configurations
16 GB total system memory (16 GB x 1)
16 GB total system memory (8 GB x 2)
12 GB total system memory (8 GB x 1 and 4 GB x1)
8 GB total system memory (8 GB x 1)
8 GB total system memory (4 GB x 2)
4 total system memory (4 GB x 1)
Maximum
Up to 32 GB

HP Recommended

Hi Lil_Boy_Blue,

thanks 4 your reply! I don't think CMOS battery is empty - no indication till now and the notebook is only < 2 years old.

I also don't understand why the memory configuration should be incompatible if it works on the first startup.

Thanks, MDummy

HP Recommended

Hi

The difference is in the clock rate..

• JEDEC/PnP:

DDR4-2400 CL14-14-14 @1.2V
DDR4-2133 CL13-13-13 @1.2V

So you have not overclocked ??

Note: HyperX DDR4 PnP memory will run in most DDR4 systems up to the speed allowed by the manufacturer's system BIOS.

PnP cannot increase the system memory speed faster than is allowed by the manufacturer's BIOS.
Memory overclocking is locked at 2133MHz on all mobile processors except Core i5 and i7 quad core processors with a TDP of 45W or greater.

It should just work.

HP Recommended

Hi

Kingston Technology HyperX Impact 32GB Kit (2x16GB) 2133MHz DDR4 CL13 260-Pin SODIMM Laptop Memory Module HX421S13IBK2/32

HP Recommended

Hi,

I did not change anything in BIOS or Windows regarding memory clock rate.

The notebook runs a Core i7-8550, 8th Gen so the clock rate should be 2400 I think.

HP Recommended

Hi

So to turn the egg on my face to a complete omelette...

Could the new memory take more power, causing a problem.

HP Recommended

Okay, thank you Lil_Boy_Blue!

I would be grateful for a statement from an HP employee. Is this forum maintained by HP staff?

HP Recommended

No feedback from HP support?

For me it looks like a BIOS problem.

HP Recommended

To me it is a case of using something like piriform speccy, with new and old ram and comparing the results.

Whether the board is running at 2133 or 2400.

Stock Core Speed 1800 MHz
Stock Bus Speed 100 MHz
Average Temperature 43 °C
Core Speed Multiplier Bus Speed Temperature Threads
Core 0 2195.5 MHz x 22.0 99.8 MHz 44 °C APIC ID: 0
Core 1 2395.1 MHz x 24.0 99.8 MHz 44 °C APIC ID: 1
Core 2 2195.5 MHz x 22.0 99.8 MHz 43 °C APIC ID: 2
Core 3 2195.5 MHz x 22.0 99.8 MHz 43 °C APIC ID: 3

Then consider if the 13/13/13 pack or 14/14/14 pack is best suited.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.