Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Honor Student
Message 1 of 5 (130 Views)

After being idle, Power button light is on solid, black screen, no response from keyboard or mouse

Product Name: 13-4005dx
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After being idle, Power button light is on solid, black screen, no response from keyboard or mouse. Must force a restart by holding down power button.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 5 (84 Views)

Re: After being idle, Power button light is on solid, black screen, no response from keyboard or ...

@alyse2232

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out

As I understand the computer isn't turning on anymore,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you run a hardware test to ensure there aren't any hardware failures as such?

Have you reset the computer to release excessive static?

While you respond to that, The best way to do that is using the HP Guided Troubleshooter: 

Click here to access it (simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 3 of 5 (77 Views)

Re: After being idle, Power button light is on solid, black screen, no response from keyboard or ...

I followed the troubleshooter and updated everything as suggested including bios I have also made the setting to allow keyboard and mouse to wake up from sleep. problem is not resolved. The computer will still turn on. It will restart if i press the power button a few seconds. When it started it looked like it was checking something and gave me some options . how do i check the hardware? and static what is that?

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 5 (70 Views)

@alyse2232

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back Smiley Wink

I recommend you check with an alternate monitor and keyboard, if that makes any difference,

if you have display on the alternate monitor, it would confirm an LCD failure within the notebook, however, if the alternate or external monitor doesn't have a display either, this could be a faulty motherboard and may require either a repair or replacement:

Releasing excessive static via a hard reset may resolve the issue and enable you to run a hardware test, however, if that doesn't work, you can contact HP to resolve the issue via repair:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution".

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Honor Student
Message 5 of 5 (26 Views)

I did the hardward failure test and everything passed. Another wierd thing that happens when this occurs is the mute button is lit when it isnt responsive. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation