Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HunterMSH
Level 1
6 4 1 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

After startup or awaking from sleep, system will continually return to sleep after only 2-3 minutes

HP Recommended
Laptop 15-bs0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When starting the laptop up each moring (from cold or sleep) it will tend to drop back to sleep after only 2-3 minutes of inactivity. This often continues for up to 2-3 hours, then it begins to follow the actual setting for sleep set in the system. I am almost always plugged-in, therefore sleep is generally never expected while using the computer.

5 REPLIES 5
sandytechy20
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
25,683 25,563 1,409 1,481
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@HunterMSH

Welcome to HP support community.

Perform a hard reset on the notebook

Refer this HP notebook to perform power reset:- Click here

Restore BIOS defaults, for steps click here

Delete a power plan

1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on System.
  3. Click on Power & sleep.
  4. Click the Additional power settings link.
  5. Click the Change plan settings link for the power plan you want to delete. ...
  6. Click the Delete this plan link.
  7. Click OK to confirm.

Create new power plan

1. Open Settings.
  2. Click on System.
  3. Click on Power & sleep.
  4. Click the Additional power settings link.
  5. On the left pane, click the Create a power plan button.
  6. Select a power plan with the settings you want to start.

You can also refer this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
HunterMSH
Author
Level 1
6 4 1 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had to somewhat wing your instructions. The BIOS options looked nothing like the examples given and there was no reset for BIOS options, though there was a reset for secutiry settings (as there was separately in the link you privided). And the process for setting/deleting a power plan was not exactly as described. It makes it unclear if there truly relevant points were hits or misses.

At this point, it is hard to tell if there is any difference because the behavior, while happening most of the time, was not predictably consistent. I made the changes yesterday and it seemed to have some effect, but not entirely so. This morning is still too early to decide, but seems better. Let's hope it is settling-in.

0 Kudos
sandytechy20
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@HunterMSH

Yes, observe the notebook for a day or a week and let me know if the issue is resolved.

Feel free to contact us if you need further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
HunterMSH
Author
Level 1
6 4 1 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The final answer is that nothing has changed. I was talking on the phone with my sister and if I let more than about 3 mionutes go by without moving the mouse, cliking on something, typing somehting, etc., it goes to sleep and I have to click to open up the lock screen then put in the password to resurrect what I was doing. IT is nearly 2:30 in the afternoon as I type this and it has happend four times in the past 30 minutes.

As I mentioned before, some of what you referenced to do did not bear any resemblence to what my system looked like, and no options provided that could be construed as what you described. I have a removable battery and did do the hard power off. But the BIOS options did not include a "Restore Defaults" option. In fact, the Main tab did not look anything like the screen shot provided and had only 2 or three options, none of which were a restore (other than the restore of BIOS security.

Then the setup was fairly different. Would you suggest just revising every setting there is? There is nothing defined as a deletable power setting at present. It also seems that there are either multiple ways to arrive at the same settings, and it is difficult to determine if they are actually the same. But in any case, even the setting for not pugged in are not as short as I am gtetting.

Since the problem is not actual turn-off and is avoidable through constant use, I am convinced that it IS software or bios, and while waiting for an alternative, I my try a somewht scorched earth approach to the settings to see if I can find as solution. But it appears as if there is some kind of setting that is overriding the settings that I can see and alter.

HunterMSH

0 Kudos
sandytechy20
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@HunterMSH

Download and install the troubleshooter from this link.

Now try to perform Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to uninstall the display drivers on your PC from device manager.

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand display adapters>then select the display drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.

Check the box that states delete the software for this device.

Now restart the computer and then update the Bios, Chipset and graphics card drivers on your PC either from our HP support website, using this link or download it using HP Support Assistant

Download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

If the issue persists, you may try these steps here: 

Step 1: Enabling the Keyboard in Windows 

Skip this step if the computer does not enter sleep mode or if the computer wakes unexpectedly. 

Follow these steps to enable your keyboard to wake your computer from sleep mode: 

1. In Windows, search for and open the Device Manager. 

2. Click the arrow next to Keyboards and double-click the name of your keyboard. 

3. If the Power Management tab is available, proceed to the next step. 

If the Power Management tab is not available, click the Change Settings button if it appears below the Device status box. The same Keyboard Properties window opens with the Power Management tab available. 

If you are prompted for an Administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. 

1. Click the Power Management tab and make sure that the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer is checked. 

2. Click OK, and then test to make sure that the keyboard can now wake the computer. If the computer still cannot wake from sleep mode, continue using these steps. 

For more steps, please Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation