Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x2 - 10-n113nd (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I re-installed Windows 10 and since all software was removed I logged-in on to the HP website to see what drivers need to be updated. The first one was an update of the BIOS. I did this and there was a message that the screen could flash a couple of times. This is now going on for 2 hours.

Every time the message 'Flashing  Boot Block' appears with a percentage of progress. After 99% very short 'Flash complete' is visible, but 'Flashing  Boot Block' starts again and again and again. 

I tried to turn the laptop off (holding the power button more than 10 seconds), but when I start the laptop again the same issue appears. Removing the battery is not possible.

Anyone an idea how to solve this?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@John19672

Welcome to HP Support Community

I would like to help

Please try a BIOS Crisis Recovery https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02693833

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KrazyToad,

I tried the suggestions in the article you referred too, but whatever I did the notebook keeps comming back with the same screen 'Flashing Boot Block' with a running percentage, followed by Flash Complete, and restarts and does the same procedure over and over again :(. 

It looks like it that it is in some kind of loop and whatever I try, I does not gets out of this.

The odd thing is, is that it got into this loop after an BIOS upgrade.

Do you have another suggestion?

Thanks for your help so far.

Best regards,

John

HP Recommended

Thanks for keeping me posted

Seems the BIOS is corrupted. Have you tried the 2nd step in the link, to reinstall the BIOS using a USB Drive?

If the issue persists please contact HP Support in your region for service options

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/ 
2) Select your product type below.
3) Enter the serial of your device. 
4) Select the country from the drop-down. 
5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 
6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi KrazyToad,

Thanks for your reply. 

Neither of the solutions worked for my device. Windows+B, Windows+V, an USB disk as all proposed. Everytime the laptop was turned on, the same screen appeared with 'Flashing boot block', like it is stuck in some kind of loop. 

The odd thing is that it happened while updating the boot as recommended by HP and not while I was installing other software. I will follow your advie and contact the HP helpdesk and aks if there is a solution. I must be honnest that I'm not willing to spend (a lot of) money on it, since the device is 6 years old and costed than around EUR 270.

Best regards,

John Nieuwendijk

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.