Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Automatic Repair looping & I can't get dvd boot for reinstall

Pavilion dv7 4200 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop doesn't have a battery currently...it died, and I've been only operating it with AC adapter, for now.

I have been running Windows 10 for around 6 months, no problem. It was factory-released with Windows 7 (both OS's are/were 64-bit).

This problem began with the PC not booting to Windows after a forced shutdown(I'd accidently pulled the power cord out), and I believe it was still in startup mode.(I had just started the system up).

After that, I began getting an endless "Automatic Repair" process. It would sit with the blue screen's windows logo, and a circling dot. I have downloaded and tried booting to a Windows 10 ISO dvd, but the pc won't boot to dvd. I have successfully changed boot order from within BIOS (using the F12 hotkey). I t saves the boot order correctly, yet doesn't actually get to a boot sequence, I am guessing, because of the looping Repair. In the BIOS tab, nothing much is included as menu options...seems wrong. Only the boot order. My BIOS vendor is listed as "InsydeH20" and version is "F.29".

**One other thing...I'd tried using a Windows 7 installation cd, previous to the Windows 10, for just getting to a command prompt. It did boot to it, and I puttered around, but changed nothing other than admin password.  I'm wondering if that somehow messed up the BIOS setup....but don't have a clue as to why that would cause the pc now to not boot to cd at all.

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
18654 18600 1536 2584
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Automatic Repair looping & I can't get dvd boot for reinstall

@Adg66

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 
For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the Automatic Repair looping and you can't get DVD boot for reinstall,

Don't worry, we'll take care of this together 😉

Please attempt the below steps:

Perform a hard reset

you could attempt to access the safe mode: click here for details.

The only other steps to resolve the issue would be to:

Remove and reseat the memory modules

Perform an HP System Recovery

If you wish to attempt a data backup prior to resetting windows: Click here

If you are able to reach some resolution, please click on Accept Solution to help others with similar issues.
If you appreciate my assistance, please click on the thumbs up icon.
Both icons are below this post.

Have a good day, Ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation