Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
MajGenRelativit Tutor
Tutor
11 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS Flashing corrupted BIOS

HP Touchsmart Envy 17-j153cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, So I've owned this laptop for about 2 years.  About 1 month ago, the laptop had a corrupted BIOS that I was unable to restore, and the thread describing that in detail can be found here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Laptop-BIOS-Corrupted-probably/m-p/5735383#M95...

Since then, I have ordered a new motherboard and installed it in the computer. It started up and worked perfectly, but wouldn't recognize the battery and only operated when plugged in. So, I thought that I would update the BIOS to see if that would fix the battery issue. I downloaded the HP executable for the BIOS and ran it. Windows did some stuff (I forget the exact details), and then the computer rebooted. It displayed a simple blue box that said it was flashing the BIOS. I played a game on my other computer for ~30 minutes then came back to the laptop.  This time, there was a completely blank screen. I attempted to move the mouse, and do anything reasonably expected to wake the computer from sleep, because the power LED was still on.  I then pushed the power button until it shut off, and then tried to power it on. It resulted in the exact same symptoms as the thread I linked above.

I have tried unplugging the computer (which removes all power because the battery won't work), using both key combinations to try to restore the BIOS from the original hard drive, and using both key combinations to try to restore the BIOS from a USB drive with a slightly older than latest BIOS.

As of right now, the laptop is all original hardware, except for the motherboard and CMOS battery.

4 REPLIES
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12360 1164 2314
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @MajGenRelativit,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! :) Good Day! :) Hope you are doing well. :) I reviewed the post about the bios corruption of your system board. It will be a genuine pleasure to assist you here.  :)

You are a valued HP customer and we appreciate you greatly for doing business with HP. :)I have reviewed the situation and it is paramount that we address your issue. Thank you for giving us the privilege to assist you on this platform. :)  Stupendous diagnosis and troubleshooting were done before posting your query. :) Kudos to you on that score. :)

It looks like the computer’s motherboard again has gone bad. Please perform a hard reset first from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

Then try the bios recovery from this link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

(First try with the USB flash drive) except that try the bios recovery without inserting the USB flash drive after a hard reset. 

Please perform this step to roll back the bios.  Hold down the “Windows” Key + letter “B” simultaneously and press the power button for about 5 seconds

If this does not work, then the motherboard bios is corrupted and please contact a local technician like Best Buy or a staples tech to get the situation corrected.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. :) Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. :)

Happy holidays to you and your family. :)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
MajGenRelativit Tutor
Tutor
11 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

So, I tried to do the suggestions you offered. I also tried to remove the CMOS battery and plug it back in to try to reset the BIOS that way too. Unfortunately, it did not work.

I don't want to bring it in to Best Buy or another service center, because I tried that before and they were unable to repair it. The motherboard is new, and worked fine up until I used the HP utility to flash the BIOS. Seeing as I did everything exactly as HP said I should to update the BIOS (making sure the computer didn't sleep, didn't lose power, etc.) and the computer still broke down while using an HP tool, I sincerely believe that the blame should lie on HP. I would like to know what I can do to resolve this situation.

Sincerely,

Major General Relativity

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12360 1164 2314
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @MajGenRelativit,

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. 

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. 
Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. 

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

Happy holidays to you and your family. :)

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

MajGenRelativit Tutor
Tutor
11 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for bringing my problem to their attention! I'll keep my eyes open for PM's or emails.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation