Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 360 15-ch011dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Started BIOS update. ...stopped at 53% and has not moved. Power off and comes back to exact same point. Also, can't find the CMOS battery??? 

I sure could use some assistance here......

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

HI@ITguyinBama, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Request you to follow the below troubleshooting steps from the document:-

I understand that you're unable to update the BIOS HP Spectre 360 15-Ch011dx  and it needs to download one by one and needs to restart the computer to make sure the Adapter or Charger needs to be connected,

Please click on the hyperlink below to install 

HP Consumer Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

I really appreciate the response! But, it is stuck in a BIOS Boot Loop that I can not exit. And, apparently, there is no CMOS battery on this device.

HP Recommended

Hi@ITguyinBama,

Do you see a light at the place where the charger connects to the laptop? If yes then it indicates that the charger is all fine.

I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

• Remove the battery out. If the battery is integrated and does not have a latch to release it then leave the battery inside the laptop.
  • Disconnected AC adapter from the laptop.
  • Press and hold the power button for 15 seconds.
  • Reconnect the battery and plug the AC adapter.

F6 + Power Button

• CMOS Rest ( combination of windows button and letter 'V' then push the power button ones and release the windows and letter 'V' after 5sec

If the laptop does not power on then please continue with the below steps:

• Disconnect the charger and remove the battery out.
  • Connect only the battery and check if the laptop powers on.
  • Likewise, remove the battery out (if removal battery ) and connect only the charger and check if that helps.

HP Recommended

This did not work. The Win V nor B seem to do anything at all. It goes right back to the BIOS update screen. Here is what I see:

The system BIOS is being recovered.

Writing new BIOS image.

Verifying new image.

Writing new BIOS image.

Block 1102/2048  53%     (This is where it stops dead and never moves)

HP Recommended

Hi@ITguyinBama,

We have done the basic troubleshooting as per the document and the notebook needs to check to get to know its hardware is faulty, not a software issue.

I'd suggest you contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer or HP Chat Support Team.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.   

Have a great day!  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

HP Recommended

Sorry, there is no envelope. Also, I have been on the phone with HP a couple of hours today and we've tried everything they know to pre-empt or interrupt the BIOS update but with no progress. And, apparently, there is no CMOS battery on the motherboard any longer. How is this? They now say I can send it in for "bench" testing with a minimum of $500. I have a feeling this Spectre line is going to have a lot of these kind of failures.....

HP Recommended

Thank you for waiting! I understand your concern and to help you out, I have escalated your concern to HP's Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options (if any). 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send us a Private Message, if you aren't contacted within 4-5 business days.  

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

And Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" on my public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Try update previous version of BIOS then upgrade to new: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-15-ch000-x360-convertible-pc/16779588/mo...

Try update BIOS via usb Drive: https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/tech-takes/how-to-update-bios-software

Refer section: "If Windows is not able to start:"

If issue is same, better call & connect with HP support.

Thanks & Regards

VG

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users:
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Thanks & Regards
VG
HP Recommended

Hi@ITguyinBama,

Check for the BIOS version on system information.

then go to the hp support website.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.