CopOut Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS Update Failed - Windows Will NOT Load (HP Pavilion DV7)(Vista Home Prem. 64-bit)

HP Pavilion DV7-1135nr
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

System:

HP Pavilion DV7-1135nr

Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (64 bit)

Problem:

I was having problems with the Wifi not working, which is common with this system according to other threads.  One of the forums suggested updating the BIOS.  The original version was F.48.  I located and downloaded the latest version, F.49, from the HP help page, which is an EXE file.  I ran this,  The Wifi button changed from orange to blue and was working.  When done with the laptop, the lid was closed, which put the computer into sleep mode.  The next morning, the lid was opened and the computer was working as normal, however, the Wifi button was orange and would not go back to blue.  After walking away from the laptop and coming back, I received a DOS screen stating:

Windows Boot Manager

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.  To fix the problem:

1.  Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2.  Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."

3.  Click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or copmuter manufacturer for assistance.

File:  \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Info:  The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

Steps Taken:

I tried using a friend's Vista Home Premium SP2 CD.  It does boot into a windows-type environment and offers to install Windows, but it does not give an option to "Repair your computer."

I  tried loading into Safe Mode, but it keeps putting me back into the Install Windows screen.

Thinking Windows itself may have gone bad, I mirrored the SSD and stored it away, formatted the SSD, and then installed a prior mirror of the drive, which was  functional when it was creasted.  I started the computer and again get the "Windows Boot Manager" info listed above in italics.

I tried locating a valid copy of the previous BIOS, F.48, without success.  I then downloaded F.49 again, thinking the original install was corrupted somehow.

Request:

1)  Can someone tell me a way to install/update the BIOS without being in Windows?  It says it needs a Windows environment to work, which I obviously do not have.

2)  Can someone help  me find BIOS F.48 for my system, preferrably one that does not need to be installed in a Windows environment?

1 REPLY
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
16475 1324 2269
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

BIOS Update Failed - Windows Will NOT Load (HP Pavilion DV7)(Vista Home Prem. 64-bit)

@CopOut Welcome to the HP Forums :)

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 
For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand the computer is no longer booting into the windows since the troubleshooting steps performed for the WiFi issues,

Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

Perform a hard reset

Attempt a BIOS recovery

Run the System Diagnostics tests

For more steps, click here

For BIOS update: Click here

Let me know if those steps worked for you. 
If they did, that’s awesome! 
Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,
that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation