Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 14s-cf0117tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello ,

While doing Windows updates, noticed there were some firmware updates recommended and so applied these.

During this process, the BIOS update froze and after nearly two hours, I had to power off the machine.  And now, the laptop will not boot. Press the power button, fan whirls for three seconds then nothing, blank screen and no activity.

Have tried all of the suggested options from HP Support and the forums...

• Holding done Win+B or V when booting
  • Disconnecting Battery, HD, etc
  • Created a BIOS and Recovery USB Key, and it will not boot from this.

Before I put this machine out for target practice... any other thoughts/options/suggestions to try and recover the BIOS and get this to boot?

Many Thanks!

Win 10,  HP Notebook - 14s-cf0117tu

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@rocko997

Welcome to the HP support community.

I understand that BOS updated failed and the notebook is not booting now.

This issue can be fixed by using the HP cloud recovery tool.

Here are the steps:- 

1. From your PC, go to the Microsoft Store and search for HP Cloud Recovery Tool.

2. Select the HP Cloud Recovery Tool App from the search results, and then click Get. Microsoft downloads and installs the App.

HP Cloud Recovery Tool installed

Run the HP Cloud Recovery Tool

1. Insert a blank USB drive (minimum 32 GB) into the computer, and then make sure the computer is connected to the Internet.

NOTE: 

Any data on the USB device is permanently deleted during this process. When the process is complete, the USB device contains only the recovery software.

2. In Windows, search for Cloud Recovery, right-click HP Cloud Recovery Tool, and then select Run as administrator.

If a Do you want to allow this app from an unknown publisher to make changes to your device? message displays, click Yes to continue.

HP Cloud Recovery Tool with Run as administrator selected

3. Carefully read the message on the HP Cloud Recovery Tool Welcome page, and then click Next to continue.

HP Cloud Recovery Tool Welcome page

4. Proxy Configuration window:

• If you are downloading the recovery software on a secure network, the tool automatically detects and populates the proxy information. Click Next.

NOTE: 

If the proxy information does not automatically populate, check with your network administrator for the proxy information, and then enter it in the appropriate fields.

• If you are downloading the recovery software on an unsecured network, skip to the next step.

Proxy Configuration window

5. Complete the System Information.

• If you are running the tool on the computer to be restored, when the HP Cloud Recovery Tool detects the system information for your device, click Next.

System Information Page

• To manually enter the system information, check the box next to I need to enter Product ID for my HP System, enter the information for the computer to be restored, and then click Next.

NOTE: 

If the Product ID has an ‘AV’ before the pound sign # and the three-digit number, do not include the #xxx (where ‘xxx’ represents a number). For example, a Product ID such as JGT75AV#123, you would not include #123. Doing so generates an error.

The Product ID might be located on the back cover of the PC. Otherwise, go to How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? (Desktop) or How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? (Notebook) for more information.

Label with Product ID displayed

• If the message Product ID is Not Match or Invalid. Check the "I need to enter Product ID for my HP system" and manually fill Product ID in. displays, your device is not yet available in the Cloud Recovery Tool. Go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads for other available recovery options.

Screen with "Product ID is Invalid" message

6. Select your USB device from the drop-down menu, and then click Next.

Selecting USB device

7. Carefully read the confirmation message informing you that any information on the USB drive is deleted during the process, and then click OK, Back, or Cancel.

Notification that USB content is deleted during the process

8. Click Next to continue.

9. Wait while HP Cloud Recovery Tool creates the Recovery Image on your USB drive.

A progress bar showing the preparation of the selected USB drive as an HP Recovery boot device displays. Click Cancel at any time to terminate the process and exit the utility.

NOTE: 

This process might take several hours depending on the system configuration of your PC. Do not interrupt the progress by removing the drive(s) or rebooting the machine. If the process is interrupted, an error message displays.

Progress bar showing USB preparation

10. If the message The recovery USB Flash drive is ready. Do you want to delete the downloaded temporary files to save space in the drive? displays, click Accept to continue.

11. When the process completes, click Finish.

HP Cloud Recovery Tool complete window

Refer to this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.