Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

My HP Pavilion x360 (14-dw0522sa) is stuck in a BIOS update loop. I was prompted to update the system yesterday and haven't been able to get into Windows since. Every time it says that the BIOS update is complete, it restarts back in the BIOS update tool and does the whole thing again ... and again ... and again.

I've searched the help pages for fixes and tried this fix HP Notebook PCs - Recovering the BIOS (Basic Input Output System) | HP® Customer Support but the driver that I downloaded simply installed without any screen appearing offering an option to create a recovery flash drive. 

Is there any way to escape this loop? I've tried hitting F10 repeatedly when the laptop is booting to get into the system setup menu but this doesn't seem to work (should I be hitting fn F10? or some other function key?). Can someone provide me with a link to a version of a BIOS update that will actually allow me to create a bootable flash drive?

The laptop is only a few months old so should be still under warranty ... but I've fixed many issues like this on previous laptops. It should be quite a trivial issue to solve but I'm concerned by the volume of reports of people with similar issues and see very few reports of successful outcomes.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

HI@macu2, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Request you to follow the below troubleshooting steps from the document:-

I understand that you're unable to update the BIOS HP Notebook HP Pavilion x360 (14-dw0522sa) and it needs to download one by one and needs to restart the computer to make sure the Adapter or Charger needs to be connected,

Please click on the hyperlink below to install 

HP Consumer Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I have a lot of experience servicing desktops and laptops where I work and have always been able to resolve these types of issue quite easily in the past. This is the first time we've bought a HP system.  I had already tried everything in the link that you provided and as I previously mentioned, the only BIOS driver that is available for my system doesn't give you an option to create a bootable flash drive. What I was hoping for was a link to an earlier version of the software that might enable me to create a flash drive or an alternative generic version that won't brick the machine.

Weirdly no combination of key presses on startup will get me into the system menu (or even the CMOS menu) - believe me I've tried every F-Key and Esc multiple times. As the machine is still under warranty, I can't open it up and I'm faced with the dilemma of sending it back to HP but losing my data (most of them are backed up) or else opening it up, backing up the (hopefully still working) HD but voiding my warranty.

It's very disappointing that a routine HP update can essentially brick my machine.

Based on the number of people on these discussion boards with a similar unresolved issue, I would strongly recommend to all users to turn off automatic HP updates.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.