Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elitebook 2570p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought a used HP Elitebook 2570p from an Ebay seller, but this has the BIOS administrator password set. Is there any way to remove the password, or reset the BIOS? I've tried a couple of tools I found on the internet, which didn't work (didn't brick anything either) and the vendor says they don't have the password. They'll take it back, but I'd like to get it to work if I can. I have the SKU, serial an UUID. Thanks 🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Contact HP technical support...in the USA/Canada, call this number...1-800-334-5144

Explain the situation to the tech.  I believe they can send you some kind of BIOS file that you can run to clear/unlock the BIOS P/W.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Contact HP technical support...in the USA/Canada, call this number...1-800-334-5144

Explain the situation to the tech.  I believe they can send you some kind of BIOS file that you can run to clear/unlock the BIOS P/W.

HP Recommended

So I go "yeah, right", having tried the online help already, and finding you need a warranty to use that - logical - but what the heck, let's spend half an hour on hold..... bleh. And then Elizabeth takes my details, friendly chat, wants all my information short of my social, then sends all that on to Kim, and in half an hour Kim sends me an email with the BIOS update and detailed instructions. Two reboots from a USB device later, the BIOS calls home and I am the master. Thanks for suggesting the obvious I didn't think I needed to try, and I'll bet the vendor is happy not having to give me my money back. I had no idea HP would support, free of charge, used notebooks, but they do. Teehee.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.