Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 17m-ae111dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I did the BIOS update and it seemed to be going fine until it was time for it to restart and then a blank screen. I reboot and the power light comes on, I hear the fan for about 2 seconds and nothing, a blank screen. I tried restart while pressing Windows key + B and nothing. I tried restart while pressing Windows ky + V and nothing. So then I downloaded sp111177.exe from https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-envy-17m-ae1000-laptop-pc-series/16851071/model/.... Then using a working laptop I made the recovery USB. I inserted the USB and while holding Windows key + B I powered on and exactly the same as before... nothing but a black screen. So I've used the HP BIOS file upgrade now I have a useless laptop. I've seen this problem reported but nothing solves my issue . I'd appreciate any other suggestions to get this going... thank you

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Community. Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Check the official HP article and follow the steps that may fit your scenario >> https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c02693833

If nothing helps, you will need to contact HP Support team to have your laptop serviced/repaired. Here is how to reach HP >> https://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/contact.html

Your FEEDBACK is important. Use the interactive buttons below and let me know if the post helps ;
*** HP employee *** I express personal opinion only *** Joined the Community in 2013
HP Recommended

Yeah, if you read my original post you’ll see that I already did everything you’re suggesting. I guess next step is a call to customer support but based on the link you provided, it doesn’t look like I get to speak to a person 

HP Recommended

I have seen others with the same problem on an HP but not exactly my model. Their solution when all else failed was to pull out the battery and remove the CMOS battery. Plug in AC adapter and reboot. On my laptop the battery is not removeable but it can be disconnected if you open up the laptop (removing the bottom cover). The CMOS battery is not visible from the bottom. I assume you have to access it under the keyboard?Does anyone know how to get to the CMOS battery on this model  HP Envy 17m-ae111dx?

HP Recommended

I actually found the service manual for this specific laptop. There is no CMOS battery per se in this laptop.

HP Recommended

So Update (final) for this issue. I took the laptop to an "authorized HP Service Center" as was listed on the HP Customer Support page. The result? I am told the laptop is unrepairable. So let me recap for all to see here. I downloaded the BIOS update for my HP Envy 17m-ae111dx; I got this file from HP Support. I performed the update and upon rebooting all I got was a lit power button, the fan running for about 2 or 3 seconds and a black/blank screen. I performed ALL recommended solutions to the problem only to have HP refer me to a website that tells me to perform the same steps I already performed. Um thanks for the support HP, try actually reading you F*** emails. HP support said if those options didn't work then call for service. I did call for service and now I am told that my laptop is not repairable. I am out of warranty and so regardless of the fact that the BIOS update came from HP and regardless that this update ruined my laptop, I am stuck with a brick and no offer from HP to work with me on making this right.  Luckily I have a backup of all my files BUT  I need to buy a new laptop. End result:

I'LL NEVER BUY ANOTHER HP PRODUCT.

Unfortunately by the time anyone reads this it'll be too late. They will already have an HP and most likely it will be bricked... good luck everybody. I'm outta here

HP Recommended

@DonaldLL

Welcome to HP Support Community

I understand your concerns and frustrations

I will escalate your case to HP's regional escalation team and a case manager will get back to you

Please check your Inbox

Thank you

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am posting this update for the benefit of anyone who might read this....

I did provide the information as KrazyToad requested. Yes, a "case manager" (I guess) responded only to tell me my laptop is out of warranty and gave me a phone number where I can get service. No thanks. I'm not putting another dime into this laptop or into HP's pockets. The HP is useless, it cannot be repaired. It is a brick due to an 'official' HP BIOS update file that I used. I have purchased another laptop of a different brand. I'm done with HP... good bye - good riddence

HP Recommended

Another update that hopefully will help someone. I received a second email from the case manager. It says, "If you don't want to speak with them we can review repair options. There is normally a service fee for out of warranty repairs but I can discount that fee. The cost of repair would be $300. Would you like to move forward with the repair? I know you mention that you don't want to pay for anything but considering the age of the unit, a discounted repair is the best we can offer. "

To that I say Thanks but NO THANKS.; and once again... I'm done with HP... good bye - good riddance

By the way. For what it's worth, the laptop was purchased in July 2019 and used by one person for about 3 months.

HP Recommended

I am new to HP, I had the same problem with my Dell Inspiron 5570 I5, after an update my machine was left with a CPU 57% at idle. I bought an

HP ENVY 17-cg0511sa 17.3” Intel® Core™ i7 Laptop - 1 TB HDD & 256 GB SSD, so far so good.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.