Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
PAVILION 15

THE LAP TOP SHOWS A BLACK SCREEN WHEN OPENING THE LID.

THE SCREEN WORKS OK WHEN FIRST TURNED ON BUT ON CLOSING THE LID FOR A WHILE AND RE OPENING THE MOTOR STARTS AND LIGHTS FLASH BUT THE SCREEN IS BLACK.

TO RECOVER THE SCREEN THE POWER BUTON HAS TO BE PUSHED AND WHEN JUST FLASHING PUSHED AGAIN THE SCREEN THEN WAKES UP.

THIS FIRST STARTED WHE WINDOWS 10 LOADED BUT I HAVE RETURNED TO FACTORY SETTINGS AND THAT IS 8.1

I HAVE TRIED REMOVING THE BATTERY TO RESET AND REMOVING AND REPLACING THE MEMORY CARDS AS SUGGESTED BY SOME SITES I HAVE ALSO RELOADED BIOS AND I STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM.

I WOULD BE VERY GREATFUL FOR ANY HELP. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @lily-springer,

Thank you for your update.

I am glad that now when you close the lid it does nothing .

You do have the option to contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help overcome difficulties.

Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @lily-springer,

Welcome to the HP Forums!Smiley Happy

It is a sterling site to find answers and tips!

For you to have the best experience in the HP forum I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide.

Learn How to Post and More

How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

I understand that since upgrading to Windows 10 when you open the lid after it has entered sleep or hibernation the screen remains black.  You must push the power button to regain your screen and if it is flickering you must push it again.

You have since returned to Windows 8.1 but the issue remains.  

It sounds like a setting was changed and now you need to reset it back up.  Here is a link to  HP Notebook PCs - Managing Power Options (Windows 😎 that will guide you to setting it back up.

If the issue remains please try this step and then recheck  your power options.

You must have administrator rights for this.

Right click on the windows button in the lower left corner ( old start button).

Select command prompt admin.

Tyye  powercfg -restoredefaultschemes and press enter

This wil take some time so please be patient.

Once completed restart your notebook.Now choose your desired power plan   settings.

To say thank you for replying please click the thumbs up button below.

If this permitted you to resolve your difficulty please choose accepted solution to aid others.

Best of Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Many thanks for your reply.

I have tried but no joy the powersfg command  says not recognized.

I can open the lap  top and some times the screen is ok but sometimes it is black if I close and reopen the screen lights up.

it is like it cannot wake up on the first action it takes two efforts either twice with the button or twice with the lid.

Thanks again would be greatful for any help

Kind regards

HP Recommended

Hi @lily-springer,

Thank you for the update.

When you tried the  powercfg -restoredefaultschemes  you must be signed in as administrator for it to work.  Please note  that it is powercfg -restoredefaultschemes and not powersfg.

Here is a link to HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8 that should help you to overcome this difficulty.

To say thanks for replying please click the thumbs up icon below.

If this allowed you to alleviate your issue, please select accepted solution to aid others.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for getting back.

I had put the correct cfg my error in admin but it says not found internal or external.

the note book when closed and opened within one min comes on then close for 20 min  opened black screen if closed again and opened again screen comes up.

I have checked the keyboard command to wake and it says yes but when keys pushed it does not wake.

thanks very much for your help i am realy at a loss

Kind regards

Lily

HP Recommended

Hi @lily-springer,

I grasp that you have done all your Windows updates and ran the HP Support Assistant to acquire any updates.

When you ran the power troubleshooter were there any issues found?

As nothing you have tried so far has helped, I suggest you do a refresh.  This will reinstall the operating sytem but should not affect your personal files.  

Refresh is part of reset in Windows 10 (from windows.microsoft.com)

Refresh Windows 10 (from TenForums)

To say thanks for replying please click the thumbs up button below.

If this resolves your difficulty please pick accepted solution to aid others.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Many thanks again.

The reset has not helped I have even returned to factory settings and still no help.

I am thinking that there is another cause not just the power option but maybe a password issue ? or a error of some type in the command to open the screen I realy am at a loss.

Is it possible an HP pass prog could be at fault,

It is like the first start does not register with the screen but the second attempt does,

Sorry to be a pain.

Regards

Lily

HP Recommended

Hi @lily-springer,

I would try turning off fast startup . I am not sure if this will make any difference but there is no harm in trying.

Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 (from tenforums.com)

To say thanks for replying please click the thumbs up icon below.

If this resolved your issue please choose accepted solution to help others who may have the same experience.

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi

Tried that with no sucsess but have now said when close the lid do nothing?

This has solved the problem screen goes black when closed but lights up upon opening.

I am sure this is not a good solution but it seems to work.

Is there a command that this action has over come//?

Thanks for your patence I am sure when the solution is found a lot of users would be able to sort theirs too

Thanks again for all you efforts.

Regards

Lily

HP Recommended

Hi @lily-springer,

Thank you for your update.

I am glad that now when you close the lid it does nothing .

You do have the option to contact HP support for assistance. They can remotely access your system to help overcome difficulties.

Please contact HP support at Contact HP Support

Good Luck!

Sparkles1

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.