cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Bateman96
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Battery Overheat and Drain

HP Recommended
x360 Envy 13
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi People, 

So I've had my x360 Envy for about 8 months now, it's been great, but recently it's been overheating badly.

I left my laptop briefly while doing something, the screen timed out and it locked. When I returned, the bottom of the laptop, where I assume the battery is, was very hot. It was much hotter than it would get while on charge, uncomfortable to the skin for more than a few seconds, but not hot enough to burn on brief contact. Following this, it wouldn't turn on, which I assumed was a safety precaution because of the heat. I left it in a colder room for a while to cool down and about an hour later, no joy and still hotter than usual. Another hour or so, it turned on, I took it outside where it was cold and within a minute of the fan pulling in the cold air, it cooled down to normal and was functioning. Everything was normal until today when the same thing happened while the battery was at about 35%,  when I came back to it, very hot and not turning on. I had to leave it in the cold for about 15 mins again, but it still wouldn't turn on. So I tried putting it on charge and it turned out the battery had died as well this time, literally completely flat. In total, I left it without being on charge for about 45 minutes. 

In both instances, there was no program running that would have over-stressed the CPU. In fact, both times I had simply left the browser open.

I noticed that there's been a flapping sound coming from the vent on the underside left corner of the laptop (not the main fan vent on the left side). Sounds like a vacuum trying to suck up tissue and it's just flapping about in the nozzle. 

I'm wondering if anyone could help? I'm still under warranty, but I don't want to go through the process of this if it can be avoided because I need my laptop for university work.

Thanks in advance

1 REPLY 1
StevenC2
Level 2
12 11 1 1
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If the laptop is only 8 months old then it is still under the manufacturers warranty.

I would recommend contact HP support's phone number for support. They may have you send the unit in for repairs.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation