Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Battery failed, laptop works on charger

Spectre X360 13-4190nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A few days ago I wanted to start my laptop: nothing happened upon pushing the powerbutton. I connected the charger and tried again, got this error before Windows booted:

"HP Battery Alert The system has detected the storage capacity of the battery stated below to be very low [...] Primary (internal) battery 601"

I pushed enter to reboot the system and got:

"The CMOS Checksum is invalid [...] CMOS reset (502)" 

I pushed enter again to reboot the system (since I had no other options).

The system started, but the time / date were more than a day behind. Further everything seemed fine, though the battery wasn't charging. Not a bit. After a while I got curious and pulled out the charger, after which the system died instantly. Put the charger back in, got the same errors, and can now only use my laptop when connected to a wallsocket.

I didn't have any problems with the battery or the batterylife before the situation above occured. My laptop is out of warranty since the end of january, but I think this is unacceptable for a €1400 euro machine that's 16 months old. It's not like it was used very intensely either, I use it as an internet / writing / photo-editing machine for when I'm travelling for work.

Is this a known issue? I couldn't find anything that gave the same error codes on the forum, but maybe I'm not searching with the right criteria. Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Provost Provost
Provost
78,143 77,551 9,533 20,643
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@CasperH

Welcome to HP Support Forum. Normally the CMOS battery can "live" up to 5 years or more. Could be some internal error but why for both batteries only. This is a mystery.

For main battery, please use the following instructions to check

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04700771

If failed, you need to replace battery.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
CasperH Honor Student
Honor Student
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It failed the battery test. This is crazy on such a new machine if you ask me. I'll call HP tomorrow.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation