cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
astealoth
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Better UEFI for 14-fq1021nr

HP Recommended
14-fq1021nr

Hello friends!

I have purchased an HP 14-fq1021nr. This laptop works really well and has impressed me on the price/performance front.

My one concern when buying an APU laptop was the VRAM buffer size. The very first thing I did when I got it was go in the UEFI to see if I could increase the default 512mb VRAM buffer. I was quite disappointed to find the option is not available.

There are two main problems with being stuck with the default 512mb VRAM allocation. Vulkan renderer can not currently split between allocated VRAM and system memory overflow. If it can't fit the job in the 512mb allocated buffer, Vulkan programs just CTD rather than trying to do anything about it. Secondarily, many DX11 programs do a simple compatibility check by looking at VRAM buffer size. A notable example is the upcoming New World MMO by Amazon Games. The game runs quite well at 720p on a 5500U, but it gives an error on launch that you don't have enough video memory.

Increasing your allocated VRAM buffer greatly increases your software compatibility, even if the VRAM and system memory are technically the same speed. I would really love the option to increase my allocated VRAM to 2gb. Is there any way to make a request of the UEFI team to un-obscure this option in the public UEFI, or obtain a more robust UEFI?

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
34,852 24,531 3,149 7,864
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@astealoth 

Understand your concerns -- but the realistic answer to all your questions is NO.

There is no UEFI team we can contact, nor can you.

HP does periodically put out BIOS/UEFI firmware updates, but we have no way to request them and they publish no schedules.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation