3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios update failed, laptop not working anymore

HP ENVY - 13-ab003na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have the HP envy 2016 (HP ENVY - 13-ab003na) which was bought 3 months ago; about an hour ago, I updated the bios using HP support assistant (or whatever it is called), and since then the computer isn't working anymore; it is powering on but nothing appears on screen and it stays in that vegetative state.

I have tried looking for instructions to hard reset bios but could not find anything specific to this model (and holding the power button doesn't seem to do the trick either).

I am trying to flash bios using the USB using the instructions here (http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833) but nothing seems to happen.

Can someone guide me on how to hard reset the bios or re-install it?

Many thanks in advance,

Himanshu

5 REPLIES 5
Provost Provost
Provost
46150 40412 4373 11188
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Connect the power adapter.

Hold down the Windows key and then press and hold the B key. 

You may have to wait for a couple of minutes before it responds.

Let us know how it went.

If you no success, no worries as you still have the HP factory warranty.

Keep us in the loop.

If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
Himanshuag Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Enrico, but my computer seems to be not doing anything at all.... any other ways to do a hard reset?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
46150 40412 4373 11188
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It is erico, not Enrico. :)

Download the following BIOS softpaq on a different PC. It is compatible with your notebook.

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp78501-79000/sp78617.exe

Have a USB flash drive  ( at least 1GB) ready to use with it. Plug it into an available USB port on the PC you are using the create the USB recovery flash drive.You can create a recovery flash drive that will help you recover your notebook. You will see the following screen when it starts on the PC you are using.

Click on next.

Click on Next.

Now just follow the prompts. Once it has completed you can plug the new recovery flash drive into an available USB port on your notebook and boot to it in order to recover from the corrupted BIOS update attempt.

Let us know how it all went. If you were not successful you will be able to use the warranty service to have your notebook repaired without cost. I hope you kept the notebook box. I always keep them for one year. You will need the box or a reasonable facsimile to ship it to HP. 

If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
Himanshuag Honor Student
Honor Student
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for your help Erico, finally I had to send it over to HP Repair center because nothing worked; also not having a removable battery was a limitation in trying to reset the bios.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
46150 40412 4373 11188
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

There is a hard reset document which includes special keystroke for notebooks and ultrabooks with non-removeable main batteries.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0002

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation