Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios

Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Anyone ever have an issue with the bios?

Laptop worked 2 days ago, but now it wont load windows and repair cant fix it... I tried reinstalling wondows, but i got an error message on boot up saying "Boot configuration data file does not contain valid information"

Upon futher testing i discovered the bios file is no longer version 6.0.1.0 and is now displaying as version 1.11.0.0 in the UEFI screen... UEFI version no longer supports bios updates... 

How is that even posible on a windows 10 64 bit machine??? This computer is less then 2 years old!

Any ideas how to fix this???

9 REPLIES 9
Retired
Retired
17,747 17,730 1,292 1,974
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios

Hi! @toddster29, Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues with help from the community!

I understand you have issues booting into your PC and you are getting error boot configuration data does not contain valid information your PC.

Don't worry I'll try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes on your PC?

Did you try performing recovery using the recovery discs or from the recovery partition?

Please provide the product number of your PC to assist you better.

As you mentioned you have issues booting into your PC and you are getting error boot configuration data does not contain valid information your PC.

Try restoring the BIOS to default and check if it helps.

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes.
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer.

Try the steps recommended below.

Turn off your computer then turn it back on and immediately tap away ESC button then select F11 then select "Troubleshoot" and then "Advanced" and try these steps:
b.Select "Advanced options" and then select "Command Prompt".
c.If prompted, enter the password for the username.
d.At the Command Prompt, type the following commands and hit enter.

bootrec /scanos
bootrec /fixMBR
bootrec /Fixboot
bootrec /rebuildBCD

If prompted to press yes then press Y then restart if not then type the code below

chkdsk c: /f /r /x

After running the commands your computer should restart and will automatically install windows update. Sometimes it will take for a while to update.

Refer this article to know more information about performing a system recovery on your PC.

Also, try running a system diagnostics test on your PC and check if the hardware components on your PC are functioning correctly.

Refer this article to know more information about running system diagnostics on your PC.

If the issue still persists try performing recovery using the recovery discs, If you don't have a set of recovery discs. Please contact HP support and order a set of recovery discs.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
toddster29
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios

The boot errror was the result of a corrupted reinstall from the partition drive... Microsoft helped me setup a bootable USB drive and i downloaded the windows 10 software from there site...

I was then able to correct the boot error by reinstalling windows, however windows, during setup skipped the page that allows me to create a user ID and password, then windows created a defaultuser0 with a password... I spent hours on the phone speaking with techs from HP and microsoft, only to learn there is no recovery password...

So we reinstalled windows 3 more times and each time the computer generated its own password and user ID... So basiclly im locked out a computer thats less then 4 months old... Microsoft admitted this is a known issue, but they have no fix for it, as of yet...

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios

@toddster29, thanks for your quick response and time.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us.

As you mentioned after contacting Microsoft you are still are locked out on your PC.

This looks like you are facing issues with the BIOS or the power on password issues.

It looks like the system board needs tattooing.

Tattooing is taking information from a system and applying it discretely to the hardware to avoid licensing issues and Microsoft has a hand in its implementation.  If the Hard Drive DMI and Motherboard do not match up, it will not work correctly which is why they state to run the Motherboard tattoo process. 

Please contact HP support and get the service options.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Let me know if this helps!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the "Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say "Thanks" for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
toddster29
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios

Nothing has been changed with this laptop, its exactly as it was sold...

So if something does not match up, then HP is going to owe me a new computer...

All i did was try to reinstall windows when it crashed, because recovery could not fix whatever caused the crash...

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios

@toddster29,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any.
You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region.
Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Regards

Mr.Robot

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
toddster29
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios

FYI the laptop was purchased in the US...

I took it abroad with me and there are no HP service centers when im stationed...

The tech here at SST laptop said he could install a brand new operating system, but that requires me to pay for the installation, plus a new CD of windows 10... I hardly think thats fair since the unit is still under warranty...

Something else to note: The UEFI version was altered... It was displaying version 1.11.0.0 after the crash and there was no longer an option to update the firmware, but after i was able to reinstall windows, it now shows version 5.8.1.0...

Is this a hardware or software issue?

But i still cant login because Microsoft has no idea what default password the computer used during setup...

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
toddster29
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios

One more thing to note: The issue seams to happen at the stage of setup when you click on express setup, its at that point the computer reboots and displays the login screen asking for a password...

Is there a way to bypass this step of setup and mannually continue the setup?

0 Kudos
toddster29
Level 1
10 9 0 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios

Attn: Mr robot

So HP just emailed me and said they have closed my case, but they have not resolved the issue yet!

Microsoft, after hours of testing confirmed it was HPs installation of a corrupted recovery file that has caused the computer to become locked... Hp has denied everything and never said i could return the computer for service...

Meaning HP installed the software incorrectly and the software is still covered under the warranty, but apparently they are not willing to resolve a warranty issue!

So im going to file a complaint with the states attorney general for warranty fraud, against HP!

0 Kudos
sabish_m
1 1 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bios

Hi, How do you solve this issue?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation