Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
ProBook 4340s
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear HP-community,

I'm struggling to get the Bitlocker drive encryption working on my ProBook 4340s under Win 10 pro (64bit).

setup:
- no TPM module present, but changes made to group policy editor to have Bitlocker working without.
- Windows is newly installed on SSD (crucial MX500 250GB) from UEFI USB Windows setup stick, then updated to 20H2
(ok, some settings made with OOShutUp against Microsoft spying, that's all)
- Partitions have been created as standard during install: a) 100 MB EFI System b) 232,26GB NTFS Boot and Basic Data c) 521 MB NTFS recovery
as the Bitlocker option to 'activate' is presented to me this should be ok, otherwise it would complain about wrong partitions, right?
- BIOS set to 'native UEFI' (no CSM) and 'secure boot', I heard that this is mandatory to have Bitlocker working (BIOS ver. F.68 04/11/2019)

Problem:
After activating Bitlocker for C: (the only available anyway) and the necessary reboot, Windows gives me the error "BitLocker could not be enabled. The data drive specified is not set to automatically unlock on the current computer and cannot be unlocked automatically. C: was not encrypted."

This message is obviously a result of the pre-encryption 'Bitlocker system check'.
(that check for automatic decryption fails, regardless whether I choose USB-stick or password as unlocking method)

It must have something to do with the startup-sequence, some wrong BIOS settings/Bootoptions... but I couldn't figure out which.

Toggling 'secure boot' on or off makes no difference. (one guy on the web recommended turning it off in his special case)
other people suspect the mistake in some USB settings, but I tried all available settings (and after all, I don't insist on unlocking via USB, would be nice though)
and with even others the problem disappeared by itself and they don't know why...

The craziest thing is that it showed me the password-entry-screen ONE time. (unfortunately, at that time I had to quit with escape because I wanted to save the recovery key before it starts encryption) I could never make this screen appear again since then!

Anybody out there who has seen such machine behavior? 🙂

Thanks a lot in advance for any helpful comment!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.