cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Black Screen After Windows 10 update

HP Recommended
Pavilion DV5-1138NR
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After updating the OEM installed Vista to Windows 10 the laptop worked perfectly fine for about a month.  The recent Win10 updates came down and the machine wanted to do a reboot from which it never came back up. All I see is black screen. I tried to boot from DVD and USB Stick nothing works. The laptop recognizes the USB stick as a San Disk though. The BIOS startup screen comes up and I was able to navigate to the boot devices and boot order options.  Even after choosing the boot from DVD or USB disk drive option and disabling all other boot devices won't boot from anything at all. There is no option called 'Secure Boot' in the bios settings to disable.  Not sure what to do at this point. Please help!!!!

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 3
Level 3
32 31 2 6
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi HelpFixMyLaptop,

I ran into this post in the web and might help you.  The posts are quite long but migt help you.

http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2034007/laptop-booting-bootable-usb-drive-solved.html

Although I am a HP employee, I'm speaking for myself and not on behalf of HP.
Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Thanks for the post, I read through that.

However in the BIOS settings in my laptop I do not see any option in the bootmode that says UEFI to change.

All I have in the BIOS is "boot device options" which I changed to USD Disk drive.  And When I Stick my USB thumb drive the boot device option shows that as 'San Disk USB 2.0 disk" and hitting enter doesn't do anything at all. Same thing with trying to boot from DVD drive.

I used the DVD and the USB stick on another HP Desktop that I have and both boots up on the desktop correctly.

So still looking for solutions.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation