Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Dv5

Hello, when I start up my Laptop it beeps and has a Black Screen with a blue box saying "Enter Password?" when the incorrect password is entered 3 times it says disabled.  Help would be greatly appreciated with this issue I created for myself.

I somehow put this password on my Laptop 10 years ago. At the time I thought it was so tech savvy, I don't even remember how the hell i figured out how to do this. I think the last time I actually used it was in 2015, maybe.  I have no issue enetering any old password i may have used but I don't know what happens if it is disabled too many times, I DO NOT want to wipe the Hard drive.

If I enter the wrong password too many times will it erase or damage any of the files? 

Is there an easier way to get access?

Can I back this computer up without getting past this prompt? I have a new laptop so I dont care about the operating system or anything like that.  I just want to retrieve my Audio, video, photos and documents. 

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so much, 

Harley 🤗

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hey HarleenM 😀

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

According to the Community's Rules of Participation:

4d. No posts shall include instructions or directions intended to bypass or subvert security measures, including passwords, locking mechanisms, fingerprint scans, etc., or to bypass any safety measures.

Therefore, this topic is being locked. If you would like help resetting the password on your product, please Contact HP support in your region. 

Kind regards,

MarcusC

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.