Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
15 laptop pc

Black screen at start help asap I depend on this computer for everything

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

It is a month since you posted your question.

Did you take your computer to a computer shop, for them to trouble-shoot?

HP Recommended

I have not taking it to a computer shop because I don't have many in the area I am in. Zip code 87935... Very small area. Is that my only option.

HP Recommended

@Nacosta 

First off, if you depend on this PC for everything, you should have made some backups so that situations like this can be avoided.  That is only common sense.

Anything you do to restore a working OS is almost certainly going to erase these critical files.  So, your focus at this point should be on doing data recovery, and delay getting the laptop working until you have those files you need in hand.

All you will be able to recover at best from the drive is personal data. You will not be able to recover settings, website information (including user accounts and passwords) or applications.

Your best bet for recovering data now is to do the following:
1) Remove the disk drive from the old PC. If this is a SATA hard drive or a SATA SSD, this is a simple thing to do. If this is an m.2 SSD, that could be either screwed to the motherboard or soldered to the motherboard. If the second, you would need to have a techician remove it for you, or you risk seriously damaging the PC doing it yourself.
2) If you have a desktop PC with a spare hard drive connector, then connect the old drive to that. If the old drive is a SATA drive, connect both the power cable and the data cable. (This adapter is illustrated below) If the old drive is an m.2 SSD, you will need a USB-to-mSATA cable.
USB-Drive-Adapter.jpg
3) Try to retrieve the files and folders you want to save from the old drive and copy them to the new PC.

If this does not work, then you need to do the following:
1) Download and install this utility on a working PC http://www.majorgeeks.com/news/story/recover_data_in_3_steps_with_minitool_power_data_recovery_free_...
2) Run the data recovery utility to see what can be retrieved from the old drive.

If that tool does not find what you need, an alternative is Recuva http://www.piriform.com/recuva

And, if that does not work well, the best tool out there is this one, but only the demo version is free https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-software.htm

And finally, since this is a Laptop, I've moved this thread to the Notebooks section.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Just to be clear with the rude way you put it all data for this PC is saved on the cloud nothing is actually saved on the laptop even Microsoft is all online now.... Passwords jus need my **bleep** and I have access to that on my phone... So that isn't the issues the issue is I don't know how to get to a screen to completely rest the entire computer and I don't know if there is malware that has caused this crash or if it is the new 10 update that caused it. I have found a local tech that may be able to help but thanks for all the information that I probably won't be doing because I jus need to reset everything. And I don't mind doing that it is how I tried doing the bois reset and I can't see to get it to do anything for me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.