MightyDrake Tutor
Tutor
11 6 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Black screen, Num+Caps Lock lights blinks slowly

Model CQ61 319WM

This is a friend's computer.  Yes, it's old.  But, it was working fine until it went into sleep mode last night.  Hasn't come up since.

Searches took me to this HP support page.  Win+B and Power on does not show the BIOS restore screen.  It just shows the same black screen.  It mentions trying more than once.  I tried at least a half dozen times.  Removed the battery and unplugged the power for a few seconds prior to some of the tries.

The BIOS download (sp48895.exe) does not provide the option to format a USB drive as bootable.  I searched around and created my own bootable thumb drive.  Then, copied the BIOS files onto it.

Unfortunately, that method also uses the Win+B and power on to bring up the boot order screen.  All I get is black.

There are a bunch of "black screen" threads on here.  I've read several of them.  But, I haven't found any others that appear to apply to this model.

Suggestions appreciated.

Drake Christensen

5 REPLIES 5
Provost Provost
Provost
74004 73894 8994 19358
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try a hard reset and see if it works.

1. Power off your laptop
2. Remove the a/c adapter, battery and everything that is attached to your laptop.
3. Hold the 'POWER 'button down on your laptop for about 10 seconds.
4. Plug in the a/c power supply (without battery) and power on.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
MightyDrake Tutor
Tutor
11 6 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion.

Held the button down for a 30 count.  Tried Win+B and power.  No change.

Drake

0 Kudos
MightyDrake Tutor
Tutor
11 6 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Are there no other methods for updating the BIOS on this model?

What steps can I take to determine if this is a hardware problem?  What kinds of hardware issues would corrupt the BIOS?

What else can I try to "shake the box" to try to induce some change in behavior?  Something that might yield more information?

Drake

0 Kudos
MightyDrake Tutor
Tutor
11 6 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Bump

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
3304 3302 178 336
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi@MightyDrake,

Welcome HP Support Forums. Best platform for all sorts of solutions, tips and tweaks to your questions/issues.

To have the best experience on HP forum, visit our HP Forums Guide to know more.

Blinking LED lights on the PC. Is that right?

Thank you for sharing the issue details. I would like to help you.

I request you try the steps from the link below and check if that fixes the issue.

http://hp.care/2dXfeUM

Hope this helps. Let me know for more.

Happy posting.

Resolv_S

Glad to help you. I work for HP

Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

Resolv_S
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation