Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
EliteBook 8760w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I have a EliteBook 8760w and I was trying to get my new Samsung T5 SSD to register when I plugged it in.  After a lot of fumbling around, I found the events log under the device manager and it had an error of "was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match". I then took to Google and found the linked site and followed the instructions listed by the user Greg Carmack.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/changed-sata-ports-ssds-and-hdd-device-not/6ff...  I rebooted it in BIOS by following this link. https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/access-bios-windows-10 

It worked! I was finally able to see my SSD drive as a usb device. I then proceeded to deleted disk 2 System Reserved Disk in the Disk Mgmt window (which was the Samsung SSD) and re-partition the drive as he said to.

The problem began when I began to follow the instructions of deleting disk 2 (the Samsung SSD) and re-partitioning the drive, once I deleted disk 2 it was gone. I thought I was deleting the partition so I could re-partition it using the create button as the post stated.

I then retraced my steps to get the Samsung SSD to show, I did the BCD backup/repair, selected change boot drive (confirmed it was "C:"  and clicked the perform action. 

I then followed the instructions into the BIOS only this time after going into Advanced Startup there was no option of Advanced Options, just restart. I couldn't esc or ctrl-alt-delete to exit. So I was forced to restart.  

My Elitebook shows the HP logo in the center, battery icon on the bottom right and the "esc for boot menu" on the bottom left when it boots up, but then it goes to a black screen. Hitting esc causes the boot sequence to begin again. 

I did hit the Esc botton and entered the boot menu. From there i think i hit F10 to enter the BIOS or diagnostic window (I didn't write down the steps) I was able to test the HDD and the Memory and both passed. I then ran the test to run in normal mode (or something like that) and it tested literally from 7pm to 4am and was still "testing" when I hit the Esc button to cancel it.

What can I do to fix this? Thank you all in advance for your time!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.